Poll: You think it's helpful?

25 vote(s) since January 19, 2011 at 6:30 PM

• Yes, it may help me with my storywriting. (13) (52%)
  • Yes, though I likely won't use it. (5) (20%)
  • It looks good, but i'm not reading all that. (3) (12%)
  • No, I don't need a guide. I'm talented as is. (1) (4%)
  • No, this guide did not help me at all. (0) (0%)
  • No. I don't write. (3) (12%)
 Topic: Coolidger's guide to storywriting/WoN library

There are no members reading this topic.

Posted on January 25, 2011 at 12:15 AM
1 thumbs up
PeterDarkZz, The Drunken Kid

Contribution: 115 (111 + 4)
SirDark wrote:

This is great and could help alot of new writers such as myself. Thank you.

Same
  Posted on January 31, 2011 at 9:56 PM
*kabutoninja80*, The Protective Lieutenant of the Military

Contribution: 117 (99 + 18)
Thank you Coolidger, this guide really helps and I love the banner.
  Posted on February 17, 2011 at 1:51 AM
duo, The Clairvoyant Captain

Contribution: 77 (73 + 4)
very good guide, it was helpful not only in my wow story but in others that i'm working on, thx!
  Posted on February 17, 2011 at 2:08 AM
KRiHT, The Raging Fire

Contribution: 108 (102 + 6)
Oooh GREAT!!!

Now I could do my story better :D

Thanks for this!!
SO should I post a story part here?
Olleh.
  Posted on February 17, 2011 at 2:17 AM
rurudo66, Hunter of Hanto

Contribution: 1,476 (1,274 + 202)
KRiHT wrote:

Oooh GREAT!!!

Now I could do my story better :D

Thanks for this!!
SO should I post a story part here?

Well, it depends. There's always the risk that if you post a story online someone could claim it as their own and get it published and you would have no way to prove that it was yours. However, you can get very good and constructive criticism here. If it's something you're not looking to publish, I'd post it here.
Epicurus wrote:

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Marcus wrote:

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.

Posted on February 26, 2011 at 1:00 AM
GodSlayerMaster, The Respected Tactician of Hanto

Contribution: 69 (61 + 8)
Awesome guide! very helpful
Coolidger wrote:

Flashback: Describing an earlier even from the story.

Shouldn't it say event?

Anyway, Thumbed up!
  Posted on March 24, 2011 at 12:32 PM
Low, The Manipulative Elite

Contribution: 3,950 (3,650 + 300)
Useful.
Thank you.

Really it is; we are all vested by the glorious fugitive. xD Praise be to him.

Could you shower me with some of your divine knowledge on Romantic/Revenge style writing. That would be useful and I will forever be appreciative of you...

All hail Coolidger!
  Posted on April 9, 2011 at 2:27 AM
^_^, The Feral Diva

Contribution: 852 (723 + 129)
Obviously a handy guide.
  Posted on April 20, 2011 at 5:11 AM
Coolidger, Fugitive

Contribution: 119 (98 + 21)
rurudo66 wrote:

(...)

Well, it depends. There's always the risk that if you post a story online someone could claim it as their own and get it published and you would have no way to prove that it was yours. However, you can get very good and constructive criticism here. If it's something you're not looking to publish, I'd post it here.

Couldn't have said it any better. What this intelligent man said.

A word to the wise, be careful when posting stories online. Only post short stories or novels that you have no intention on getting published. If you plan on getting something published, keep it private. Stealing others work isn't nice at all, but there are some real jerk's over the internet. I've learned my lesson before.

@GodSlayerMaster: Thanks for pointing that out, simple typo. I'll get on it.

@Low: If you need advice of some sort, my inbox is always open. I'd be glad to help if I can. :)

@Anyone it may concern:

I apologize for my lack of activity over the past few months or so, and I feel that i've let down people on a few projects in such, library included. I'll get back to rating, critiquing and sharing any stories you wish to have added to the library.

Two easy requirements to get your story added:
1. Have it posted here. I won't provide a link to an external site, so I won't add it.

2. Just ask nicely. I don't have time to go out searching through stories like I used to, but i'll read through anyone who asks. Just send me a pm, and a link to the story.

On a nicer note, thanks for the supporting comments in regards to the guide. Appreciate it. :)
The original Melon Lord.

Posted on April 20, 2011 at 7:12 AM
Low, The Manipulative Elite

Contribution: 3,950 (3,650 + 300)
Sorry for sounding sarcastic. << I do need some advice, will be pm'ing you soon.
  Posted on April 20, 2011 at 3:27 PM
rurudo66, Hunter of Hanto

Contribution: 1,476 (1,274 + 202)
Hey Collidger, sorry for stealing your idea for the Library, but with your lack of activity I felt it was necessary. Something like tht was really need so I made one myself. It's stickied in the writng division if yu want to take a look at it. And if you'd like to be a rater yo can PM.
Epicurus wrote:

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Marcus wrote:

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.

Posted on April 22, 2011 at 12:00 AM
Coolidger, Fugitive

rurudo66 wrote:

Hey Collidger, sorry for stealing your idea for the Library, but with your lack of activity I felt it was necessary. Something like tht was really need so I made one myself. It's stickied in the writng division if yu want to take a look at it. And if you'd like to be a rater yo can PM.

I'm gonna continue with my library, selfish as that sounds. I've done one similar and I like maintaining one, as I enjoy critiquing others.

However, don't worry about the "idea stealing". Tbh, someone else did something like this before me anyways, so i'm guilty too, keep your library sir. And when I post stories, they shall go in yours, since I can't fairly rate my own works. o.o
The original Melon Lord.

Posted on August 2, 2011 at 5:48 PM
FatalCurse, The Protective Panda

Contribution: 30 (27 + 3)
I hate to be a grammar Nazi, but the fact that there are a few grammar mistakes in a guide about writing is bothering me.

In the first paragraph you use "your" instead of "you're" twice, and you also use unnecessary commas.

Otherwise, this is a great guide that will be useful to aspiring writers.

(I hope this doesn't qualify as a necropost. :x)
  Posted on August 2, 2011 at 6:03 PM
Coolidger, Fugitive

Sir, I am a grammar Nazi myself.

I'm glad you pointed those out, so that I don't look like an idiot forever.

However, the comma thing is mostly just my writing style. I do use alot of commas. I actually kinda talk like that too. Breaking my sentences into chunks at a time xD
The original Melon Lord.

Posted on January 16, 2012 at 12:56 AM
Whitney, The Inexperienced Medic

Contribution: 38 (32 + 6)
This is very useful, though I probably won't reference back to it often.
For obvious reasons. You know me Alex, I am very stubborn when it comes to taking advice or help on writing.
Though I may go back and double read the genre things.
Anywho thanks for the topic, and I'm sure it will help many others dear.
| Kwido got them hands | Graphics Showcase - Writing Showcase - AmA

"Killing must feel good to God too... he does it all the time."