Topic: Mafia Q&A

There are no members reading this topic.

Posted on July 26, 2012 at 3:51 PM
Nijime, Senior

Contribution: 840 (793 + 47)
Post any questions you might have about mafia in this topic and I will answer them.

Index

Below is listed every question asked so far in the Q&A. If you'd like to see the answer to a question, simple open your search tab (ctrl+F) and look up the number attributed to the question.

Section 1: Game mechanics
-[1.01]I don't understand all this. What is Mafia?
-[1.02]What is a lynch?
-[1.03]What does unvoting and voting do?
-[1.04]Is voting anomynous? Is killing anonymous?
-[1.05]Is each mafia member responsible for killing a person during the night phase, or must the mafia come to a single decision?
-[1.06]Also, during the day phase, are players able to chat in ways other than the thread? Or are pms, Skype and the rest not allowed during the day phase?
-[1.07]Are you allowed to discuss the game with players that were already killed in the Mafia game you're playing, as long as that player does not reveal information to any external party nor gives you information that was considered confidential and that ceased to exist with their death?
-[1.08]Can a Mafia member communicate with his partner(s) at night even after his death?
-[1.09]Does killing a power role prevent that power role from using his/her night action?

Section 2: Rules and setup
-[2.01]Why is it not allowed to edit your posts?

Section 3: Strategy
-[3.01]I'm a member of the Mafia team. What am I supposed to do during the day phase?

Section 4: Userscript
-[4.01]I can't install userscripts on my computer, so I can't use the Mafia script. Can I still play?
-[4.02]How do I install a userscript?
-[4.03]I can't install userscripts on my browser, so I can't use the Mafia script. Can I still play?
-[4.04]I'm hosting a game and I'm using the Mafia Userscript to generate votecounts. Can the userscript handle the Doublevoter role?

Section 5: Hosting
-[5.01]I want to host my own mafia game. Where do I start?
-[5.02]How should I balance my setup?
-[5.03]How do I decide who gets what role?
-[5.04]How long should a day or a night last?
-[5.05]How do you use the Mafa Userscript if you are hosting a game?
-[5.06]What would happen if the host(s) are unavailable for a period of time? Is it possible to pause the game until the host(s) return?
-[5.07]Can I award gold as a prize for winning or losing parties? If so, can that be added to the regular prizes or will it replace the regular prizes?
[Official]Custom Character Contest #5

Create a new ninja of the Honoo clan.

The deadline for this contest is May 14th, 2014.
  Posted on August 14, 2012 at 8:17 AM
Nijime, Senior

Section 1: Game mechanics

[1.01]I don't understand all this. What is Mafia?
Mafia is a forum game. In a simple setup, there are two teams: one large team (e.g. 9 players) and one small team (e.g. 3 players). The players in the small team are called the "mafia". They know which players are in what team. The players in the large team are called the "townies". They have no idea who else if townie and who is mafia. The goal for the townies is to eliminate all of the mafia players from the game. They can do this by voting during the game phase that's called the "day". When a majority of players vote for the same player, that player is "lynched" i.e. eliminated from the game. The goal for the mafia is to eliminate all of the townie players from the game. Townies can be voted from the game like mafia players, but they can also be killed by the mafia players. The mafia get to kill one townie during the game phase that's called the "night". The game goes from night to day, to night, to day, etc. until there is only 1 team left.

[1.02]What is a lynch?
A lynch is when you - all players in the game - decide to execute (kill) one person for the crimes you think he has committed.

[1.03]What does unvoting and voting do?
Voting and unvoting is how the players in the game reach a decision on who to lynch. If more than half of the players vote on the same person, then the majority of the players think that that person is guilty, so he will be lynched.

[1.04]Is voting anomynous? Is killing anonymous?
Voting is not anomynous. In order to vote, a player needs to post "Vote: playername" in the game topic, so everyone will see who he voted for. Killing, and all other night-actions for that matter, are anomynous. Night-actions are sent to the game host by PM instead of being posted in the topic. After the night has ended, the host will reveil who died that night, perhaps with a nice storyline flavour, but without reveiling the killer. If there are multiple killers, they are often given a certain method of killing. For instance, if in night 1 player 1 was stabbed and player 2 was shot, and in night 2 player 3 was shot and player 4 was stabbed, the town can conclude that whoever killed player 1 also killed player 4 and whoever killed player 2 also killed player 3.

[1.05]Is each mafia member responsible for killing a person during the night phase, or must the mafia come to a single decision?
The mafia must come to a single decision. If they can't come to a single decision, they won't be able to kill anyone. Only one of the mafia players needs to send a message to the mod to tell him who they'll kill though (not all of them).

[1.06]Also, during the day phase, are players able to chat in ways other than the thread? Or are pms, Skype and the rest not allowed during the day phase?
No, players are only allowed to discuss mafia games in the game topic. This is because it's very important that everything that's being posted in the game can be read by every player. Players are only allowed to discuss the game outside of the game topic if their role allows it, like the mafia are allowed to discuss their strategy privately each night.

[1.07]Are you allowed to discuss the game with players that were already killed in the Mafia game you're playing, as long as that player does not reveal information to any external party nor gives you information that was considered confidential and that ceased to exist with their death?
No, you're not allowed to discuss the game outside of the game topic at all, not even with people who didn't play in the game themselves. People who aren't playing or players who died might be asked to substitute into the game if any of the players goes inactive. If you've shared information or even opinions with that player, I can't let him substitute into the game anymore.

[1.08]Can a Mafia member communicate with his partner(s) at night even after his death?
No, if a Mafia player dies, he's not allowed to discuss the game with anyone. Not even his partners. A dead Mafia member giving advice to his surviving partner(s) would be considered cheating.

[1.09]Does killing a power role prevent that power role from using his/her night action?
All actions have a priority. The actions with the highest priority are handled first, while the actions with the lowest priority are handled last. Killing usually has a very low priority. This means that in most cases, even if a character is killed, his action for that night will not be prevented, because it has a higher priority than the kill. If the priorities are equal, they will be executed at the same time. Because of that, it can happen that two players kill eachother in one night.

Posted on August 14, 2012 at 8:29 AM
Nijime, Senior

Section 2: Rules and setup

[2.01]Why is it not allowed to edit your posts?
The Mafia forum game is based on a party game, where you sit in a circle with actual people. In a situation like that, you can't take back anything you said, so it's not allowed in the forum game either.

Posted on August 14, 2012 at 8:30 AM
Nijime, Senior

Section 3: Strategy

[3.01]I'm a member of the Mafia team. What am I supposed to do during the day phase?
Pretend to be a townie. You could try convincing the town that one of the innocent townies is a member of the mafia, so they'll lynch him instead of you or one of your partners. You could also push for the lynch of one of your partners, to fool everyone into thinking you're town when it's revealed that he's mafia.

Posted on August 14, 2012 at 8:31 AM
Nijime, Senior

Section 4: Userscript

[4.01]What is a userscript?
In general, userscripts are pieces of code that you can install on your internet browser in order to change the appearance or even the functionality of a website. However, these scripts are not written by the administrator of that website. They are written by users: people who often visit that website and have thought of a way to improve it.

[4.02]How do I install a userscript?
Userscripts can only be installed on Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. They cannot be installed on Internet Explorer. In order to install userscripts in Google Chrome, you only need to click on the link to such a script and a window will popup asking you if you'd like to install the script. In order to install userscripts in Mozilla Firefox, you first need to install the addon Greasemonkey. After you've done so, you only need to click on the link of a userscript and a window will popup asking you if you'd like to install the script.
(if this explanation confuses you, take a look at the WoN Userscripts topic where Sand_Spirit explains it in more detail)

[4.03]I can't install userscripts on my browser, so I can't use the Mafia script. Can I still play?
Yes, you can. You don't need the script. The moderator will regularly post vote counts, so the people not using the userscript can keep track of the votes easily too. But of course if you're able to, I encourage you to install the script. Not only does it show you the current votecount at any time, but it also prevents you from accidentally breaking the rules by not letting you edit your posts in the mafia game and not letting you post when it's night.

[4.04]I'm hosting a game and I'm using the Mafia Userscript to generate votecounts. Can the userscript handle the Doublevoter role?
Yes it can, but it requires a little extra attention from the game host. The host needs to use the [votecount] command to manually register the extra vote belonging to the Doublevoter. For example, type [votecount]vote Nijime doublevoter[/votecount] if whoever is the doublevoter has voted for Nijime. The word "doublevoter" will appear amongst the players voting for Nijime in the votecount, so if there are multiple players voting for him, they won't be sure who casted the extra vote. Likewise, type [votecount]unvote Nijime doublevoter[/votecount] to remove that extra vote.

Posted on August 14, 2012 at 8:32 AM
Nijime, Senior

Section 5: Hosting

[5.01]I want to host my own mafia game. Where do I start?
You start by filling in and posting the "new game form" in the Mafia Game Signups topic. Then you wait until enough people have signed up. While you're waiting, you could work on the game setup or the storyline, and perhaps even prepare role PM's. After enough people have signed up (I would advice having some people sign up as substitute too), you are allowed to create your game topic and get the game started.

[5.02]How should I balance my setup?
Always remember that the game is about having an uninformed majority (townies only know their own roles) against an informed minority (mafia know eachothers identities). So don't try to create games where there are lots of mafia groups, leaving only a few townies. If you're using a simple setup with only 1 mafia group, I believe the general rule of thumb is to have about 3 times as many townies as there are mafia, but there can be more or less mafia depending on the amount (and strength) of the powerroles given to the town and mafia. For example in a 7-player game, a setup with 2 mafia goons, 1 cop and 4 townies is quite balanced. But say that you'd want to also add a doctor to the game (instead of a townie). That could really tip the balance into the town's favour. So a good way to solve that would be by also making one of the mafia goons a mafia roleblocker. It's always a good idea to have someone else who's had experience in hosting mafia games (but who won't be playing in your game) look over the setup to help you decide whether it's balanced enough or not and how it could be improved.

[5.03]How do I decide who gets what role?
You should never hand-pick roles for players. If it ever gets out that you're distributing roles that way (or even if people suspect it), in future mafia games that you host people will try lynching players who they think you would've given a mafia role to, instead of playing the game like they're supposed to. Instead, use random.org. Number all the players and all the roles. Then, on random.org, go to sequences (in the numbers menu. Use the random sequence generator to generate a sequence where the smallest value is 1 and the largest value is the amount of players. There's your role distribution: you give the first role to the player with the first number on the list, the second role to the player with the second number on the list, etc.

[5.04]How long should a day or a night last?
You should never rush days. Personally, I don't set deadlines for a day unless the discussions haven't been going anywhere for 48 hours. In that case, I set a deadline ranging from 4 to 7 days. Some moderators like to set a deadline at the start of each day. Those deadlines should range from 2 to 4 weeks. If you set a deadline at the start of the day, you should allow players to ask for an extension (publicly, in the game topic) if they feel they need it. As for how long nights should be, that depends on how large the mafia group is (or in case of multiple mafia fractions: how large the largest mafia fraction is), only counting players that are still alive of course. You can't expect a group of 5 mafia players to reach a decision on who to kill in only 48 hours. They need at least 72 hours, maybe more. A group 3 mafia players probably only needs about 60 hours. If you're using a closed setup (where the town doesn't know how many mafia players there are), be careful your deadlines for nights don't give away how many mafia players there are left.

[5.05]How do you use the Mafa Userscript if you are hosting a game?
You don't need to be a forum moderator to use the Mafia Userscript in your games. Anyone can use it. The Mafia Userscript Manual describes how to implement the Userscript.

[5.06]What would happen if the host(s) are unavailable for a period of time? Is it possible to pause the game until the host(s) return?
Yes, that's one way to solve it. Your players probably won't be very happy about it though. A better solution would be to share the setup with someone else who has experience hosting mafia games and ask him to take over hosting from you for that period of time. It would be inconvenient that he'll be unable to edit your posts, but he could ask a moderator to edit your posts for him. Or maybe your players can simple manage to keep the game going a few days without you? If you leave at the beginning of a game day, you could make an announcement saying when you'll be back and that if anyone gets lynched, they'll have to wait until you get back. All they really need you for during the game is posting votecounts, and they can manage that just fine without you too (in simple setups at least).

[5.07]Can I award gold as a prize for winning or losing parties? If so, can that be added to the regular prizes or will it replace the regular prizes?
As a host, you are free to give additional gold to the players of your game as a reward for their participation or victory. This will not influence the regular reward that is always handed out to the participants of any (well-balanced) game.

Posted on August 14, 2012 at 8:33 AM
Nijime, Senior

Reserved in case I want to add another section.

Posted on August 14, 2012 at 8:33 AM
Nijime, Senior

Reserved in case I want to add another section.

Posted on August 16, 2012 at 12:51 PM
Bernkastel, Fugitive

Contribution: 75 (62 + 13)
I noticed in the Mafia Game Signups topic that there is an application form you can fill in to apply to host your own games. How would that work?

EDIT:
How long will most days/nights be? (I believe they take a bit too long sometimes...)
I'd like to thank Mr Karab for such a wonderful siggie!
  Posted on August 19, 2012 at 11:32 PM
Manjji-Puppet, The Manipulative Elite

Contribution: 1,285 (1,084 + 201)
So, are the specific votes anonymous? That applies to the Mafia. If they kill someone during the night phase, are no other players (disregarding other mafia members) able to see?

For You Zad.
My Skin Showcase
  Posted on August 21, 2012 at 9:00 AM
Nijime, Senior

Bernkastel wrote:

I noticed in the Mafia Game Signups topic that there is an application form you can fill in to apply to host your own games. How would that work?

EDIT:
How long will most days/nights be? (I believe they take a bit too long sometimes...)

Thank you for your question. I have created a new section (section 5) for all hosting-related questions. Your questions are answered there.
Manjji-Puppet wrote:

So, are the specific votes anonymous? That applies to the Mafia. If they kill someone during the night phase, are no other players (disregarding other mafia members) able to see?

I have added your question as question [1.04] and answered it.

Posted on August 21, 2012 at 10:19 AM
Bernkastel, Fugitive

I'm currently working on a mafia game set up I'd like to host in the future.

I just want to know whether or not your userscript would be able to deal with a doublevoter role?
  Posted on August 21, 2012 at 10:26 AM
Low, The Manipulative Elite

Contribution: 3,950 (3,650 + 300)
My question is, how do you use mafia script say if you are hosting a game. IS there like special commands for it?
  Posted on August 21, 2012 at 11:42 AM
Nijime, Senior

I have added the answers to your questions:
[4.04] for Bernkastel's question;
[5.05] for Low's question.

Posted on August 21, 2012 at 12:10 PM
Bernkastel, Fugitive

Sorry for asking another question, the more I work through creating my Mafia game set up (roles, timing, length of time, etc) I keep finding questions I need answering...

[Hopefully this is my last question...]

What would happen if the host(s) are unavailable for the Mafia game for a period of time due to external commitments? Is it possible to pause a game or postpone the continuation of a game until the host(s) return? (Eg. Say you are running a custom mafia game, but then you [the host and your co-host(s) ] have to say attend a service, conference, exam period, etc (for long periods of time) is it possible to postpone the game for a period longer than a day? Week?