Topic: [Mafia Terminology]

There are no members reading this topic.

Posted on September 3, 2012 at 3:01 AM
Manjji-Puppet, The Manipulative Elite

Contribution: 1,285 (1,084 + 201)
So, this is my list of Mafia Terminology. Hope it helps all of you mafia-goers out there!

*note that all usernames used here, and all situations are not (and should not) be interpreted as a relation to any active, upcoming, or past mafia games.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Bandwagon(ing) (BW)- when an accusation is made, and the entire town follows that vote, without any proof.

ex.
Lucaslost wrote:

So, pretty sure Karab is mafia. Vote: Karab

Town wrote:

Vote: Karab

NOT THE SAME AS
Lucaslost wrote:

Well, after that night kill, it's safe to say that Karab is definitely mafia. Vote: Karab

Town wrote:

Vote: Karab

It should only be considering Bandwagoning if there is NO sufficient evidence or reasoning.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Blitz- a fast vote, essentially. Often used in Mislynch or Lose situations, so the mafia can kill off a townie before votes can be retracted.

Blue (Townie, Villager)- when a person claims 'blue,' they are saying that they are a villager aligned with the town. Note that just because someone claims blue, however, they may not necessarily be.

ex.
Hikaru wrote:

I'm Blue.

Bus (or Bussing)- a tactic involving a mafia member targeting his/her partner(s) in order to claim innocence. This is often using so make the town 100% sure about a mafia member being townie, so they can ride along, thus leading the an eventual win with the mafia.

Counter-Claim (CC)- pretty self explanatory. A 'CC' is a claim that contradicts another claim.

ex.
Tsugaga wrote:

Cop here, doc on me.

Low wrote:

CC, I'm the cop, Tsu is mafia.

Coinciding with Counter-Claims, there is also:
Un-Counterclaimed (UnCC'd)- this refers to someone who has not been argued against. Most often, this person has claimed to be a certain power role, and no one else has claimed that role.

ex.
Elamento12 wrote:

I'm the cop.

Dumbtell- an attempt by a player to act 'dumb' to justify a scum move. Most forms of dumbtell involve not paying attention, or not understanding the game fully.

ex.
Mirroga wrote:

I'm pretty sure Low is maf.

By saying this, the majority would be against Mirroga, BUT
might not pursue it as they would believe he didn't read the whole discussion that cleared Low.

Fingers of Suspicion (FoS)- basically is a way of saying who you are suspicious of.

ex.
Manjji-Puppet wrote:

FoS Crazymonkey3.

Hammer- the lynching vote, a.k.a. 'hammering the last nail in the coffin'.

*note that it can also refer to the last vote, or the 'hammer vote'

Hardclaiming and Softclaiming- two variations of claiming. Hardclaiming is to blatantly state your role.

ex.
Rukia wrote:

I am the cop.

Whereas Softclaiming is hinting as to what your role is. Often times, softclaims include using words like [DEFINITELY, FOR SURE, POSITIVE].

ex.
DeathShadow wrote:

I'm 100% sure that xxx is innocent.

or
DeathShadow wrote:

XXX is DEFINITELY mafia.

Softclaims can be used to save yourself from a lynch, or may falsely be used by bombs and oracles so they will get killed during the night phase, therein activating his/her ability.

Innocent (Inno, Blue)- as obvious as it gets, this is a term used to describe someone who is often cleared as a cop, who is for sure a villager.

Lynch- a kill that is based on the majority vote during the day.

Lynch or Lose (LYLO)- a situation in which a no-lynch would result in a loss for the town. In this case, unless a role such as a doctor or vigilante can kill a mafia member, or safe a townie, no-lynching would be a bad choice, and would most likely result in a loss for the town.

Lurk(ing)- actively watching the topic, but not posting anything.

Massclaim(ing)- an event in which each player hardclaims his/her role.

Mislynch (ML)- a bad lynch, as in lynching any village-aligned player.

Mislynch and Lose (MILO/MYLO)- any situation where mislynching would be an assured loss for the town. No lynching is often the chosen path in these situations.

*note that all LYLO situations are MYLO situations

No Lynch (NL)- a majority vote to lynch no one.

No Kill (NK)- an occasion when the Mafia chooses not to kill. When a doctor role is present in a game, this can be used to lure out the doctor.

Power Role (VIP or PR)- any roles other than Vanilla Townies and Plain Mafia.

Town wrote:

Agent
Baker
Blacksmith
Bodyguard
Bomb
Bulletproof
Cop
Detective
Deputy
Doctor
Governor
Gunsmith
Granny
Hunter
Insane Cop
Jailer
Journalist
Loudmouth
Priest
Mason
Nurse
Naive Cop
Oracle
Paranoid Cop
Shrink
Snoop
Town Crier
Tracker
Vigilante
Watcher

Mafia wrote:

Disguiser
Driver
Framer
Godfather
Hooker
Janitor
Lawyer
Silencer
Spy
Stalker
Thief
Ventriloquist
Yakuza

*note that all third-party roles may be considered power roles as well

Random Lynch (RL)- as it sounds like, it is a lynch that is not based upon any true evidence.

Scum- a term used to describe any non-town roles. When pointing fingers of suspicion, players may be called scum. Additionally, shady activities are also described as 'scummy'.

Sheeping- following along, or voting with a particular player.

ex.
Nori wrote:

I feel like Yuudai can't be trusted... Vote: Yuudai.

Yukigaaru wrote:

Since Nori's voting for him; Vote: Yuudai

Scumtell & Towntell- scumtell consists of many actions which are considered suspicious, or 'scummy'. Towntell is the opposite, comprised of many actions which are considered 'non-scummy'.
List wrote:

Lurking
Bandwagoning
Pushing for bad decisions (such as random-lynching in a MYLO situation)

List wrote:

Hammering
Lurking
Leading the lynching of a suspicious figure

*note that lurking is listed in both, though in different forms. Scumtell lurking includes posting useless information, while Towntell based lurking is pointed as disinterest with a blue role.

Tunneling- the constant targeting of a single player, regardless of others.

Vanilla (Nilla)- any non-power role. This is more commonly used to refer to mafia, but applies to townies too.

Wine in Front of Me (WIFOM(ing))- the use of reverse psychology to effectively play the game.

ex.
Nijime's wrote:

Well, I'm the doctor, and Takeko is the cleared cop. So, I could protect the cop, but the mafia might expect that. SO I could protect anyone else, BUT the mafia might guess that I would expect them to not target the cop.

This basically goes on forever. Yeah.

Why Me? = Fry Me.- a term used to describe when a player inquires as to why they are being targeted, thus drawing out the negative reasons why he/she is being voted for.

This concludes my list of terminology. If you think I should add something to this list, please let me know, in the form of a private message, and I will update this.

For You Zad.
My Skin Showcase
  Posted on September 3, 2012 at 3:20 AM
XxXSamurai786XxX, The Untouchable Samurai of the Ancestors

Contribution: 16 (14 + 2)
zomg, good job manjji, i was planning to do something similar, but u beat me to it. i think u missed hypo btw. on an unrelated side-note, do u know/play the online game epicmafia? if yes then ima friend u if u give me your username for it. also, hypo thumbs to since thumbs are turned off for mafia town
The Untouchable Samurai of the Ancestors

Posted on September 3, 2012 at 3:23 AM

oops sorry i didnt read the bottom part of not suggesting in the thread forgive me.

Posted on September 3, 2012 at 3:26 AM
Manjji-Puppet, The Manipulative Elite

Contribution: 1,285 (1,084 + 201)
Don't worry about posting the suggestion on the topic
I don't remember why, but I left that one and a few others off the topic. Most don't apply to our version of mafia, such as leaks and whispers)

Also, my username is TwoStepsAhead

For You Zad.
My Skin Showcase
  Posted on September 3, 2012 at 3:37 AM

ah, gotcha. i think hypo could be used in our situations and ive also seen you on EM before, my username is Phantok, and im gonna add u now. also, i think if we are to continue this discussion, it should be through PM's since this topic would get crowded fast, or we could continue here if u want, its up to u really. anyways, once again, great job on the terminology and good luck on EM and MafiaTown

Posted on September 3, 2012 at 8:17 AM
Nijime, Senior

Contribution: 840 (793 + 47)
This is looking good, so I'll sticky it. I encourage Manji to keep this updated and would ask anyone who thinks something should be added (or altered) to contact him by PM.
[Official]Custom Character Contest #5

Create a new ninja of the Honoo clan.

The deadline for this contest is May 14th, 2014.
  Posted on September 3, 2012 at 11:00 PM
MariosDNA, The Flaming Commander of the Honoo

Contribution: 524 (448 + 76)
Very good guide..I wish I could give you a thumbs up.

WON STAFF WHY U NO ENABLE THUMBS UP IN MAFIA TOWN?
  Posted on November 21, 2012 at 1:06 AM
Sand_Spirit, The Trueborn Elite

Contribution: 1,958 (1,725 + 233)
Thank you for this guide. It sure is very helpful, especially for people who are new to mafia games. ^^