Topic: Balance Update 1.0

There are no members reading this topic.

Posted on November 6, 2013 at 5:27 PM
Yuudai, Savior

Contribution: 1,233 (813 + 420)
The following changes are now live and have their skill points reset:

Kusa Yugana:

Level 2 Touch of Eden now lasts 5 turns, but no longer damages the target when it performs a skill.

Level 3 Scent of Tranquility no longer removes drug afflictions, but increases affliction damage dealt to all targets by Ki afflictions by 5 this turn.

Seishin Ryu:

Level 2 Sky Cracker now deals 35 melee damage.

Level 3 Sky Cracker will now cost one strength energy and one random energy.

Saisei Kudoku

Level 1 Judgement now deals 5 melee damage to one enemy, removing all charges on the target. Each charge increases the damage of this skill to that enemy by 10. Passively, whenever an enemy performs a visible skill, that enemy is granted one Judgement charge, up to 3 charges.

Level 2 Judgement now deals 10 melee damage to one enemy, removing all charges on the target. Each charge increases the damage of this skill to that enemy by 10. Passively, whenever an enemy performs a visible skill, that enemy is granted one Judgement charge, up to 4 charges.

Level 3 Judgement now deals 15 melee damage to one enemy, removing all charges on the target. Each charge increases the damage of this skill to that enemy by 10. Passively, whenever an enemy performs a visible skill, that enemy is granted one Judgement charge, up to 5 charges.

Kozan Isshou:

Level 1 True Keeper of the Warbringer no longer limits melee and ranged damage dealt to Isshou, but protector now has 30 hit points.

Level 2 True Keeper of the Warbringer limits melee and ranged damage dealt to Isshou by 20.

Seishin Karasu:

Level 1 The Black Prince grants Karasu a random energy every turn.

Level 2 The Black Prince grants Karasu a random energy every turn.
  Posted on November 6, 2013 at 5:30 PM
Murasaki_Karasu, The Trueborn Savior of the Ancestors

Contribution: 499 (416 + 83)
Takeo wrote:

Do you like this balance update?

Do you feel it's fair to have more "important" effects come at earlier levels, such as Ikuchi bypassing invulnerability by level 2 instead of 3.

Are you okay with radically changing skills that have become outdated with the new leveling system such as Jun's new Focus and Shoji's new Shadow Guard?

As a follow up question to the above, do you feel these new skills will be able to change their only "viable" builds? IE Jun being 3/3/1/1 and Shoji being 3/3/1/1?

1. Absolutely.

2. It definitely makes certain skills more likely to be upgraded. Beforehand, many of the skills updated today were either Level 1 or Level 3, due to Level 2 being sort of 'in-the-way' of the real effects you want.

3. Yes. It seems you've accomplished your goal in making arguably useless skills more meaningful now.

4. Many new strategies will arise from these changes, and that excites me greatly.
  Posted on November 6, 2013 at 5:54 PM
Miraika, The first Recruit

Contribution: 6 (6 + 0)
I like the balance update; I think you have to change skills to work better with the leveling system; and I think a number of the changes will give some characters more viable builds.

[sort-of-not-really-quote=Takeo]
Should more "important" effects come at earlier levels? [/not-quote]

This is a good question, and I think it depends on what you're trying to do with the level cap.

"Important" effects are, naturally, important; and when they don't apply until level 3, people tend to either go 1 or 3 in that skill. So in one sense, the character has less viable builds because you can't build them with level 2 in that skill. On the other hand, this does tend to make the builds that exist feel more different, because it's easier to notice when ignoring invulnerability makes a difference than when 5 damage makes a difference.

My feeling is, if 2 builds of a character feel really different, they should just be 2 different characters. I would focus more on making all builds viable than making them different, and that will generally mean putting important effects in levels 1 and 2.
  Posted on November 6, 2013 at 5:59 PM
crazymonkey3, The Dark Kid of Death

Contribution: 2,379 (2,124 + 255)
Who else is going 3/2/3/0 on Jun? Or 2/2/3/1. Focus level 3 will be beast. Granting 2 charges is just way too awesome.

I changed my Jatai build from 3/3/1/1 tp 2/3/2/1. And with Hana from 3/3/2/0 to 2/3/3. I dont think they need forever lasting afflictions. Personally Hana. for 1 random 50 affliction is good. At 1vs1 when you have set up your affliction and just use the draining and nothing more. So i find it a good touch. I always said Hana was the one character that needed the 1 random removed from her attack.

For Amaya i went from 3/1/3/1 to 3/2/2/1. 3 turns is really enough for her counter. I belive Arasoi is still the same since all of his smokescreen effects are needed.

Shoji is still 3/3/1/1 for me but i will definetly use his shadow guard more often now. Yume is still 3/3/1/1. Shishi are still the same too. Isshou got boosted. 1/3/3/3. now i can spam his attacks even at the start.

Now about Ryu. I already went 2/2/3/1 on this guy. I just want to see how it goes.

Overall really nice update guys. Now we just need to find out who is the next character thats gonna get released. Like you promised :P
No sign for now
  Posted on November 6, 2013 at 6:27 PM
Yuudai, Savior

The following changes are now live and have their skill points reset:

Niiro Jun:

Level 1 Blindspot now deals 20 melee damage to one enemy. Each Blind Spot charge increases damage dealt with this skill by 10. Removes all Blind Spot charges.

Level 2 Blindspot now deals 20 melee damage to one enemy. Each Blind Spot charge increases damage dealt with this skill by 15. Removes all Blind Spot charges.

Level 1 Focus: Affects Jun with Focus, reducing melee damage dealt to Jun by 15 points for 3 turns.

Level 2 Focus: Affects Jun with Focus, reducing melee damage dealt to Jun by 15 points for 3 turns. During this time, Enrage may be used on a selected target instead of a random enemy.

Level 3 Focus: Affects Jun with Focus, reducing melee damage dealt to Jun by 15 points for 3 turns. During this time, Enrage may be used on a selected target instead of a random enemy and generates two blind spot charges.

This only leaves Shoji to be updated. He will be updated at a later time this evening.
  Posted on November 6, 2013 at 7:06 PM
Trucy, The Golden Child

Contribution: 118 (53 + 65)
I was expecting a Jikkousu Nerf / Change but stil a nice update!
Time to mess around with Jun more.
  Posted on November 6, 2013 at 7:08 PM
llui, Lackey of the BETA

Contribution: 456 (383 + 73)
Some interesting stuff!!! Specially to Jun, Kudoku (O_O) or Shoji. I don't know to do with Jun...

Jun: 3/3/1/1 or 2/2/3/1.

Shoji... Ugh... I really like the -10 ranged of Shuriken Wire: in the future, I could make a 2/3/2/1.
  Posted on November 6, 2013 at 7:14 PM
Sakon, The Manipulative Savior

Contribution: 89 (54 + 35)
An okay update, I think gold should be refunded if they spent 100 on dojo within 24 hours of resetting a character who just got a reset.

I have 1 major gripe though, Nori's change. That is just.... Really game breaking I guess. Yah the DD is destroyed easily, but she can just flute it back. 1+ aoe cool downs perma for 1 white is just too strong as is, yet now it ignores Invul ( I t may have before, but I don't remember)

If anything, make it so where the first skill they use has it's cool down +1'd, not every skill till you can destroy the DD.

Her + Jikkousu is just really gonna be a pain.

I play a lot of Yume and I agree that was needed for her, getting off a aoe tatic stun on your first turn was saddening, even if it was me who always did it, little to no counter play to it. Now if only Nori had something like that, because I don't think there's really anyone else who raises cooldowns, or an item that can prevent said cooldown raise.

Regardless, nice update.
  Posted on November 6, 2013 at 7:31 PM
Hellawyer, The Supreme Demon, Rank 1 of PLS-2

Contribution: 937 (843 + 94)
Sakon wrote:

I have 1 major gripe though, Nori's change. That is just.... Really game breaking I guess. Yah the DD is destroyed easily, but she can just flute it back. 1+ aoe cool downs perma for 1 white is just too strong as is, yet now it ignores Invul ( I t may have before, but I don't remember)

It already used to bypass invul before.

Sakon wrote:

I play a lot of Yume and I agree that was needed for her, getting off a aoe tatic stun on your first turn was saddening, even if it was me who always did it, little to no counter play to it. Now if only Nori had something like that, because I don't think there's really anyone else who raises cooldowns, or an item that can prevent said cooldown raise.

Jatai and Kasui can increase cooldowns too.
  Posted on November 6, 2013 at 7:44 PM
Sakon, The Manipulative Savior

Contribution: 89 (54 + 35)
Hellawyer wrote:

(...)

It already used to bypass invul before.

(...)

Jatai and Kasui can increase cooldowns too.

Forgot about Jatai and lol Kasui, But at least all of those said characters have some sort of art behind their cool down increase, thus allowing counterplay, and its only single target, Nori's is just in a league of its own.

But I guess it could be fine if the cooldown increase goes away when a friendly skill is used on them, I'd actually like that.

But as long as characters like Jikkousu exist that require you to kill her quickly, this shouldn't be okay. You basically have to choose if you want to get rid of the cdr or try to kill Jikk, and getting slowed down to all living hell in the process while She's just flash fanging up a storm to spike you down later.

I've never even fought Nori + Jikk and I don't even know, by internet terms, if it is " a thing " but I can see it clearly being such now if it wasn't already.

Especially since Nori's arch Nemesis Yume just hit pretty hard in that regards, but as I said, it was needed.

Thankfully Sainan still exists,
  Posted on November 6, 2013 at 9:37 PM
1 thumbs up
deiske, The Untouchable Hunter of the BETA

Contribution: 37 (24 + 13)
I guess you didn't take my exact advice on Nori, but i'm happy with it.
  Posted on November 6, 2013 at 9:44 PM
Nestec, Dreamer

Contribution: 1,507 (1,327 + 180)
Excellent balance update, glad to see stuff in motion.
Takeo wrote:

Do you like this balance update?

Yes I do. It's somewhat difficult to grasp what exactly was being changed in some cases (as in, what was the before and what is the after), but that's not too big of an issue.
Qoute:

Do you feel it's fair to have more "important" effects come at earlier levels, such as Ikuchi bypassing invulnerability by level 2 instead of 3.

I think this is a better decision, it eliminates the existence of skills that HAVE to be leveled to 3 in order to be useful and changes it instead to a question of which skills do you want to be boosted to level 3.
Qoute:

Are you okay with radically changing skills that have become outdated with the new leveling system such as Jun's new Focus and Shoji's new Shadow Guard?

I am very in favor of updating those skills. Just make sure you guys adjust the tooltips as needed on the character pages.
  Posted on November 7, 2013 at 12:01 AM
Yuudai, Savior

Shoji is now live as well. However, there appear to be some bugs with Shadow Guard that have yet to be resolved. I will try to get everything fixed tomorrow.
  Posted on November 7, 2013 at 12:58 AM
Yuudai, Savior

I've made some slight changes to Shadow Guards design. The idea is still the same though.

Level 1:
Affects one team member with Shadow Guard for 1 turn. During this time, if an enemy performs a melee or ranged skill on the target, Shadow Chaser is allowed on that enemy the following turn. The target of this skill is invisible.

Level 2:
Reduces ranged damage dealt to one team member by 10 for 1 turn. During this time, if an enemy performs a melee or ranged skill on the target, Shadow Chaser is allowed on that enemy the following turn. The target of this skill is invisible.

Level 3:
Reduces melee and ranged damage dealt to one team member by 10 for 1 turn. During this time, if an enemy performs a melee or ranged skill on the target, Shadow Chaser is allowed on that enemy the following turn. The target of this skill is invisible.

Due to the changes, Skill points on Shoji have been reset again.
  Posted on November 7, 2013 at 2:08 AM
RagicanoX, The Black Inferno

Contribution: 1,467 (1,261 + 206)
Well, Shoji's Shadow Guard wasn't as good as I thought it would be. It's basically Shadow Chaser, except you're putting it on a teammate, it's invisible, optionally reduces damage, and doesn't trigger WoR. Kind of easy to go around, and seemingly a nerf compared to the previous skill's effects. Perhaps it'd be much more effective if it was visible AND affected Shoji and a teammate, (like the previous Shadow Guard did).

Although I think the skill was nearly as useless as the previous Shadow Guard, (I rarely used it except to trigger WoR in a tough spot or if I was fighting strong ranged spike teams which is rare nowadays), it can be used in a few squads effectively such as Nori, Yume, Shoji or Ken, Yume, Shoji or Nori Jatai Shoji or Yume Jatai Shoji or Jikkousu Jatai Shoji or Kame Yume Shoji...hm actually there's a decent amount of combos xD. Still, the teams Shoji would be in to use Shadow Guard at its maximum capacity would be in squishy, fairly low hp characters with low damage output without preps or setting up strategically, (and those teams are usually easy to kill, especially against spike teams). I think I'll keep my Shoji at 3/3/1/1. Thanks for the update, though.

eDIT: Shadow Guard does activate WoR, only the target of the skill is invisible. Epic, this will be awesome :D