Topic: New BBCodes including Skill Tag

There are no members reading this topic.

This topic was closed by Nori
  Posted on November 26, 2013 at 6:33 AM
1 thumbs up
Nori, Wolf of the Seishin

Contribution: 2,123 (1,747 + 376)
Yes, or we could say 'continue to make the use of the GFX section's work' and never need to give out those warnings in the first place? Image codes aren't hard to use, and there is a sea of great GFXers out there who are more than happy to help for a little gold or a spot in your clan.

Big thanks to JoeTurtle for this one^^

Akatsuki is Recruiting! Post an app to be part of Akatsuki on WoN: Reborn today!

Not sure who Akatsuki is? Check out the Akatsuki Clan Topic!
  Posted on November 26, 2013 at 10:09 AM
1 thumbs up
Demonkings, The Golden Demon

Contribution: 1,488 (1,318 + 170)
Let me try

Ace in the Hole

Energy Required:

Caitlyn affects an enemy with Ace in the Hole.If Caitlyn is not stunned within 3 turns. She deals 65 damage to that enemy bypassing invulnerability and counters.

Class List:
Ranged and Channeling
Cooldown:
Absolute Zero

Posted on November 26, 2013 at 11:03 AM
Sand_Spirit, The Trueborn Elite

Contribution: 1,958 (1,725 + 233)
Nori wrote:

Yes, or we could say 'continue to make the use of the GFX section's work' and never need to give out those warnings in the first place? Image codes aren't hard to use, and there is a sea of great GFXers out there who are more than happy to help for a little gold or a spot in your clan.

I wasn't talking about graphic design. I was talking about simple headers like this:

(Yes, you made me spend 5 minutes of my life on this. I hope it's worth it)
  Posted on November 28, 2013 at 3:27 PM
1 thumbs up
DutchShinobi, The Cheerful Panda of Death

Contribution: 522 (368 + 154)
Question for Yukigaaru: is there a tag for passive effects in the description of active skills, like Kudoku has in Atonement and Judgement? If not, I would be very thankful if you created a tag for it.
  Posted on November 28, 2013 at 5:01 PM
sammysowners, The Untouchable Warbringer

Contribution: 388 (345 + 43)
I think this should be implemented into the thing with Bold, Italic, Underline, etc. for the appropriate sections where you post (skills) like a click for the setup, or something?

and maybe you guys can add the rest of the things like youtube, to the list as well?
  Posted on November 29, 2013 at 3:27 AM

I know what you meant, and I still say no?

Akatsuki is Recruiting! Post an app to be part of Akatsuki on WoN: Reborn today!

Posted on November 29, 2013 at 4:07 AM
Manjji-Puppet, The Manipulative Elite

Contribution: 1,285 (1,084 + 201)
sammysowners wrote:

I think this should be implemented into the thing with Bold, Italic, Underline, etc. for the appropriate sections where you post (skills) like a click for the setup, or something?

and maybe you guys can add the rest of the things like youtube, to the list as well?

Perhaps Sand or someone else with the skills could create a user script? Not sure if that's possible, but just a thought.

For You Zad.
My Skin Showcase
  Posted on November 29, 2013 at 8:14 AM
MitzT, Smoker of the Winter

Contribution: 629 (529 + 100)
I have a small question.

If you add an avater that is bigger than 75x75, will it automatically resize to fit the space provided?
  Posted on November 29, 2013 at 8:30 AM
crazymonkey3, The Dark Kid of Death

Contribution: 2,379 (2,124 + 255)
MitzT wrote:

I have a small question.

If you add an avater that is bigger than 75x75, will it automatically resize to fit the space provided?

Test

Energy Required:

Test

Class List:
Test
Cooldown:

Yes it does. But it looks squishy.
No sign for now
  Posted on November 29, 2013 at 3:06 PM
Sand_Spirit, The Trueborn Elite

Contribution: 1,958 (1,725 + 233)
Nori wrote:

I know what you meant, and I still say no?

You do, but with no valid arguments. Is increasing the text size for only 4 pixels so much of a problem?

@Manjji
No, I gave up making userscripts a while ago. I don't want to waste my time on 10 users that would use them.
  Posted on November 29, 2013 at 4:13 PM

I did give a reason, it's something the community can already do, adding the feature would shorten the time it takes yes, but I've said several times I don't support ideas that are just ways to make things you can already do easier, not to mention the potential for abuse. Weighing up the upsides and downsides, I am still against the idea.

Posted on November 29, 2013 at 5:11 PM
1 thumbs up
Taylor, The Manipulative Tactician of the Darkness

Contribution: 1,189 (1,010 + 179)
Nori wrote:

I did give a reason, it's something the community can already do, adding the feature would shorten the time it takes yes, but I've said several times I don't support ideas that are just ways to make things you can already do easier, not to mention the potential for abuse. Weighing up the upsides and downsides, I am still against the idea.

Technically, making the skill tags was also something that the community could already do, but we still got the new BB Codes and it was a positive addition.

Is there potential for abuse? Of course there is. That is why measures would be taken to prevent that, such as not making it a "click-tag" like the simple ones (that is, people would need to type the parameter manually) and creating rules that disallow abuse of the system.

Many ideas were shot down initially based on that argument, Nori. The Debate section was shot down initially like that, if you recall. The Warning revoke after 1 year was also initially shot down like that. Many great ideas were initially not accounted for exactly because of that reasoning.

"Oh, if you want a Debate, you can put it in the Miscellaneous section. A specific section would only make this easier."

"Oh, an automatic system to pay for your energy, instead of opening the queue & random energy page? Ah, that would just simplify your work. Do it manually." (and this isn't even a great idea, seeing how advanced players surely can plan better if they choose their own energies to stock, but this is still positive for beginners)

"Oh, a chatbox inside the game? This is not necessary - after all, you can use Private Messages or talk into an external chat. N-A and S-A do not have chatboxes, why should we?"

"A set of pre-made avatars that people can use on the website? But people can make their own avatars or get a GFXer to do it! Let's shoot this idea down."

As you can see, each and every idea can be shot down on the grounds of "this only comes for the sake of simplicity". After all, it's true - even this website comes for the sake of simplicity, seeing how it would be possible to create a group called War of Ninja on Facebook, get one person to act as an energy randomizer and two people playing, just like RPGs can be played with paper and pen instead of in front of a computer.

The fact that something makes things simpler can never be an excuse to eliminate the idea.

With regards to abuse, that's where the regulations come in. If we think about "what ifs", no idea would be implemented EVER. The Debate section was a leap of faith, because it might've caused flaming. The Spam Kingdoms were a leap of faith, because they might've caused people to not understand that spam is constrained to that location. The Private Message system was a leap of faith, seeing how someone could simply use it to run a script that would send harassing messages to another person all the time.

There are many other examples, but I believe the point is clear by now. Potential for abuse or the fact something simplifies an aspect of the website cannot be taken as arguments to shoot down an idea, or we would never have any kind of progress.

Elevation - The Rise of the Mercenary
Show me the gold and I'll show you victory.
  Posted on November 30, 2013 at 1:07 AM

We pick and choose, you weigh the upsides against the downsides. You ALWAYS take potential for abuse into account when considering an idea, it is always a valid issue to bring up, because why implement something that will do greater harm than good, that's madness. Now, this adds very little, but people -will- post all in header font everywhere, and they will be the kind for whom warnings mean very little.

Private messages and the chats are a poor analogy, you cannot have a PM with that many people included and PMs aren't in real time, it's not convenience, it's a new feature.

The auto energy spending is again, less about convenience, more about making the game more accessible to new players.

The premade avatars are impossible to abuse because they are pre-made and you can only have one of them.

See how the good outweighs the bad quite easily in each of those? Chat may be the exception, but staff powers are much stronger in chat than on the forums.

Now, debates, the main argument was, if I remember rightly, that it would devolve into senseless flaming, which it has done on several occasions, but overall you guys did well with it. Props to you. However, that is all contained in one section that can, if people are stupid about it, be locked entirely. A new forum code does not have any checks in place beyond warnings and post deletion, which contrary to popular belief we don't want to do. All it does is convince people to stop drawing on the GFX community and gives idiots another tool in their arsenal. The upsides are outweighed by the potential downsides in my view, so I oppose the idea.

Posted on November 30, 2013 at 1:27 AM
1 thumbs up
Taylor, The Manipulative Tactician of the Darkness

Contribution: 1,189 (1,010 + 179)
@Nori: I understand your arguments with regards to the functionality, but you didn't see my original point. When I was giving the examples, I was talking about things that simplify the forum everyday life, not about things that could be abused (my examples regarding abuse were merely the Debate section and the Warning reset).

So, reiterating: avatars came just to simplify matters, even though the GFXing department could take care of creating avatars. Auto-spending came just to simplify matters (after all, that's what being accessible boils to, by definition) and so did many other things.

I personally do not see the difference between a larger font size and a bold code. Both modify the way we write, both dislodge attention to the header, both could be abused. I know that it's not in your interest to keep handing warnings and removing posts, but I can also assure that it's not in the veterans' interest to lose such a functionality because people ~could~ be immature when using it. We are a small community, one that has shown maturity throughout time by living in these forums for a long time.

So, I wonder, why not try another change that might come for good?

Elevation - The Rise of the Mercenary
Show me the gold and I'll show you victory.
  Posted on November 30, 2013 at 1:53 AM
Hikaru, Professor

Contribution: 2,375 (2,097 + 278)
I have come here to support Nori.