Topic: Vertu's review

There are no members reading this topic.

Posted on December 24, 2013 at 4:16 AM
VertuHonagan, The Old Samurai of the Ancients

Contribution: 888 (803 + 85)
This is my review on the game now with the new RPG system. I will be putting in a few suggestions and things that I think should be added in to improve both the game and my interest in it.

Story:

The story has pretty much been completely taken away. There is no longer a reason for the player to be commanding his characters, where as pre-nerf the player was assumed to be the next leader of the WoN world. Helping to solve the problems of the Regions of WoN until finally he challenges the ultimate boss: the current Shogun.

My advice for the story, bring back the old map, while at the same time keeping the books. Why can't we have both? In the map you learn about the world of WoN, in the books you learn more about the characters themselves. I believe you would bring more color to this game and bring back more of the fun of playing the game if you brought back the map, while at the same time keeping all the current books and future chapters.

Gameplay:

Part 1: Unlocking characters: I hate the new ways of unlocking characters. Now this game has turned into nothing but a pure grind fest like N-A and S-A. I quit those games because of the boring and nearly impossible ways of unlocking the characters, and now this game has reverted back to their style of unlocking characters. The old way was perfect and should not have been touched.

Not only is it nothing but a boring grind to find the character you want to unlock, I also feel like the characters have no point in being in the world. The old map system of unlocking gave a reason for them to be joining your team. There was always the appeal and surprise of not knowing what character was going to come next, and you got to know and love the character before you unlock them. Now you just get characters thrown at you for no real reason.

Part 2: RPG system:

I thought originally that this was a great idea. The player would have to play win 100 fights to level up the character to level 10. By doing this the player would acquire the achievement for winning 100 fights with that character, and will have a good understanding of how the character plays. Originally, the idea was that all characters would be the exact same set up as the old characters, except you could use training to change up the characters skills a bit. Now the characters are more unbalanced, and some are even useless.

My suggestion: Raise the max level back up to completely having all characters skill fully leveled, and require 100 wins to level up the character to level 10. Allowing new players to better understand how to play both the character and the game without ruining the balance of the game so badly.

Part 3: Battle variety:

In the old version we had Streak Ladder, Points Ladder, Private battle, quick battle, and missions. In the new system we have Story, Quick battle, and private battles. Where are the ladders? Where is the consecutive wins thing that was advertised pre-launch, where as you win battles the ai would get tougher and tougher? The only thing that this new set up has that is slightly better is that there are a few more boss fights.

Part 4: Opponents:

Honestly, I miss fighting against other players. AI fights are nice, but every match being against an AI gets really old, and I would prefer fighting players unless after 30 seconds of searching you don't get an opponent and then you get an AI instead.

Summary:

Overall, the new update has taken away so much from this game, that I rarely ever come back to play. I played the new update about 5 times now, pretty much the same thing I did with N-A/S-A until I almost never log on again. This was an amazing game with great original characters, story, and boss fights. Now all of that appeal has been removed and the game is lackluster to me. I currently give this game a rating of 3/10, but it has the potential to be 8/10.
  Posted on December 24, 2013 at 4:41 AM
naruto-leaf, Swordsman

Contribution: 2,005 (1,806 + 199)
The map is good idea. We can have them both, also we could even keep the current way of doing things, but have them somehow be put in with the map.

1. I agree with this. Before was better.

2. I would not say unbalance, just weaker. Some skill levels are useless and not made properly.

3. I agree with this too. Having that AI battle that was mentioned before update would make things more interesting and people would play more that way.

4. Yup.
Removed for ???
  Posted on December 24, 2013 at 10:33 AM
edwinas5524, The Untouchable Swordsman of the Nobles

Contribution: 2,382 (2,161 + 221)
well about story we all agree that this story is much weaker, but old story is gone and it would need a lot of work to make new one (old way) style.... and they wouldn't waste their time to make it again....
  Posted on December 24, 2013 at 10:40 AM
Zadion, The Twisted Child of Death

Contribution: 1,077 (757 + 320)
edwinas5524 wrote:

well about story we all agree that this story is much weaker, but old story is gone and it would need a lot of work to make new one (old way) style.... and they wouldn't waste their time to make it again....

No, we don't all agree that this story is much weaker. The chapter format has A LOT more potential than the old version, and a lot of this potential is already being realized.

The only thing wrong with the current story mode is that there's no incentive to play it.

I liked the map, but it is pure aesthetics. It barely has any effect on the actual gameplay whatsoever.

hello, it's me. i was wondering if after all these years you'd like to meet
  Posted on December 24, 2013 at 10:54 AM
Karab, The Fierce Tiger

Contribution: 3,492 (3,159 + 333)
I think the main problem with the story now is that it's no longer sequential

I mean, in order to play it through and actually have a story that makes sense you have to unlock the right characters in the right order, which doesn't work when the system is randomised.

I suggest that they make it so that whenever you play a boss, you have an increased chance of unlocking that char (like 30% on hard, 20% on normal and 10% on easy)).
-----------germ---------another germ---------------
-----------GERMS ALL OVER THE PLACE---------
Oh Look at that, looks like there's SO MANY MOD GERMS
Okay, who the flower's the smartass

Now THAT's just being a precious flower.

I am going to slam a lovely rainbow flower into your beautiful face you flower
  Posted on December 24, 2013 at 11:15 AM
Forgotten-ninja, The Demonic Demon of the Demon's Flower

Contribution: 357 (320 + 37)
Karab wrote:

I think the main problem with the story now is that it's no longer sequential

I mean, in order to play it through and actually have a story that makes sense you have to unlock the right characters in the right order, which doesn't work when the system is randomised.

I suggest that they make it so that whenever you play a boss, you have an increased chance of unlocking that char (like 30% on hard, 20% on normal and 10% on easy)).

What exactly do you mean by that? Beating a boss in story mode makes you more likely to unlock them? Not sure how that'd work for Nori's chapter, who's boss fight is practically herself.

I'd suggest that in order to play chapter 2, you have to have beaten chapter 1 on at least easy and so on. Though there's a problem in that Santi's chapters don't really have a proper difficulty curve. You're likely to recruit the Santi characters out of order anyway, since Toraji is chapter 3's character while Niwa is chapter 4's character.

But yes, the main problem is that there's nothing that will get people to play the story, much less read it. Even if you add character/item rewards they'll just ignore all the dialogue.
  Posted on December 24, 2013 at 12:13 PM
Ein, The Crystal Fire of the Red Dawn

Contribution: 821 (713 + 108)
Nice anaphora in part 2, dude.

Main problem with this game: lack of people playing competitively. Where are all the people who used to play this non-stop to get to #1 in Points Ladder?
My last.fm profile.
Albums I've been digging recently:
Trophy Scars - Holy Vacants
The Gaslight Anthem - Get Hurt
Joyce Manor - Never Hungover Again

Posted on December 24, 2013 at 3:48 PM
naruto-leaf, Swordsman

Contribution: 2,005 (1,806 + 199)
@ein they are gone because there is no more ladder.

I like the idea that everyone should get a chapter. I would somehow connect the chapters so you would have to finish one to unlock the other.

The map would also fit in nicely with this. As zadion said the map doesn't really affect the game play, but people like it and it would make them play more.
Removed for ???
  Posted on December 24, 2013 at 3:52 PM
edwinas5524, The Untouchable Swordsman of the Nobles

Contribution: 2,382 (2,161 + 221)
Zadion wrote:

(...)

No, we don't all agree that this story is much weaker. The chapter format has A LOT more potential than the old version, and a lot of this potential is already being realized.

The only thing wrong with the current story mode is that there's no incentive to play it.

I liked the map, but it is pure aesthetics. It barely has any effect on the actual gameplay whatsoever.

well its your opinion, but most of the people liked old story mode more than this one... I agree with karab about boss fights and about nori's chapter its just exception... I think problem with this chapters system is because this books has their own stories you finish one chapter and be happy its over, whats up with map systems you see whole world map you make missions in one village, you finish some mission go to other village to complete other mission to unlock other mission in other village, and story goes on and on.... I don't get it why make so many changes like that? make books, leave old story just for story and then think delete it or not..... and now old story out and be happy with this one.....
  Posted on December 24, 2013 at 5:47 PM
Nestec, Dreamer

Contribution: 1,507 (1,327 + 180)
VertuHonagan wrote:

Honestly, I miss fighting against other players. AI fights are nice, but every match being against an AI gets really old, and I would prefer fighting players unless after 30 seconds of searching you don't get an opponent and then you get an AI instead.

You didn't mention anything about Tournaments, which have been an excellent addition to this game. But otherwise, I agree with most of your points.
Qoute:

My advice for the story, bring back the old map, while at the same time keeping the books. Why can't we have both? In the map you learn about the world of WoN, in the books you learn more about the characters themselves. I believe you would bring more color to this game and bring back more of the fun of playing the game if you brought back the map, while at the same time keeping all the current books and future chapters.

This would be a lot of work for Nori, and I'm almost certain he wouldn't be willing to do it -- although I definitely can't speak for him.
  Posted on December 25, 2013 at 12:06 AM
VertuHonagan, The Old Samurai of the Ancients

Contribution: 888 (803 + 85)
Nestec wrote:

(...)

You didn't mention anything about Tournaments, which have been an excellent addition to this game. But otherwise, I agree with most of your points.

(...)

This would be a lot of work for Nori, and I'm almost certain he wouldn't be willing to do it -- although I definitely can't speak for him.

I didn't mention tournaments, because they were started in the old system along with this new system, and I honestly forgot about them. lol. I greatly dislike unlocking characters by tournaments, because unless that characters storyline is based on him or her being a champion in the arena, then there is no reason they should be unlocked through a tournament. There is no storyline based on it, and I think that the characters should only be unlocked through the way that they affect the story.

I understand that it would be a lot of work, and I would not expect it to even be done quickly. I would just love to see it still included and created over time slowly. I personally would be proud of the work that I have created and would want to show it off. Just removing all the work of the past, when it was so good, is just crazy.