Topic: An old player's review and suggestions

There are no members reading this topic.

Posted on December 28, 2013 at 1:30 PM
6 thumbs up
Bankai_San, The Flaming Captain

Contribution: 1,030 (844 + 186)
First of all, I'd like to honestly apologize if I've been complaining too much. I don't want you guys to think that I'm a hater of anything, it's just that I mention what I don't like, but don't mention what I like. So this is gonna be a full review, with both my positive and negative thoughts about the game currently and my overall suggestions.

Gameplay
If compared to N-A and S-A, for example, WoN seriously rulez. The 2 for 1 energy swapping, the addition of items, even the fact that the skills overall are way more unique and well planned, all these make WoN the best game in these lines, no doubt. Also, I really love the art and story, that's another good addition.
However, I personally would suggest 1 little thing about swapping: make it only possible for items, not characters. I understand the whole strategy involved in swapping, but in the few Kasui tournaments I played I've realized that in tournaments, you don't win 'cause your team or your skills are better, you win 'cause your swap is better. That's all.

Character "recruitment"
Okay, here comes. Unfortunately, this is the one part of the game that I don't like at all in Reborn. Long story short, because it's tiring and frustrating. I've been playing for a long time in Hard with max rarity (250) and it takes ages for any of the 4 characters I still don't have to appear (Karasu, Isshou, Yuzuki and Yuurin). I'm serious, even with maximum rarity, they simply don't come. And then you manage to find them once in every 100 games and you lose the match (happened to me these days), so all over again. Or you find the character and win, but he comes at full price and you can't afford him. Yeah, you want us to "play the game for longer" and stuff, but this isn't the way to do it. I just keep sighing every time I don't find the characters I need. I don't play 'cause I want to or find it fun, I just keep hopelessly trying to find those jerks who don't show up ever and pray for them to randomly come with a good discount.
Also, one loss usually puts my Rarity Find down to 208 or something. After that, it makes me about 3 wins in a row to put it back to 250. Why is it so much easier to lose than to win rarity find? It's hard enough to find characters with full rarity find. :/

I'd like to suggest a fix and certain way of unlocking characters, rather than having to blindly hope one of them shows up. Dunno, some hard-ass missions, some kinda battle which makes you always fight a high-rarity character, whatever. Or some alternative missions with stuff like the 300 damage thing, the triple kill thing, etc. to fulfill. Or even tourneys like the Kasui tournament for the highest rarity characters.

Website and forums
Nothing to complain here. Both the main page and the forums are really well made and organized. I'm note even gonna compare 'em to N-A and S-A.

One little suggestion here would be: make the achievments have some reward. They're really nice and stuff, but they give nothing, isn't it? (only titles) They could give a few gold (like 1~5), or character xp, or "complete achievements X, Y and Z and unlock this item 50% off".

And finally, a curiosity rather than a review. I always wanted to know how the process of "making characters" work. Like, X comes up with the concept, Y designs and colors, Z work on the skills...
  Posted on December 28, 2013 at 2:32 PM
4SEIA, The Dedicated Deputy, Top 100 of PLS-5

Contribution: 64 (51 + 13)
indeed about recruitment
yesterday, my rarity was 190 at easy
i fought Karasu 2 times with no hope in Kasui
i play on easy and have around 3000 gold
if only she had been randomed, i would have max her by now
  Posted on December 28, 2013 at 3:04 PM
1 thumbs up
Murasaki_Karasu, The Trueborn Savior of the Ancestors

Contribution: 499 (416 + 83)
I agree with pretty much everything you've stated here. I love this game, with a passion that far outweighs anything I enjoy about Naruto Arena or Soul Arena. This game is better in every single way, but it has it's flaws.

I suggest making characters purchasable just like items, BUT at a much higher cost than they would be if you ran into them in battle. Maybe make it x4 the normal cost? For example:

Yuurin Battle Price: 901
Yuurin Purchase Price: 3,604

Bottom line, players will still have to play your game. They have to earn the gold somehow right? This way, the frustration of players will disintegrate, and the high cost will also encourage players to just try their luck at Quick Battles. Not to mention this will give players with heavy pockets something to actually spend their Gold on.
  Posted on December 28, 2013 at 3:48 PM
Demonkings, The Golden Demon

Contribution: 1,488 (1,318 + 170)
Murasaki_Karasu wrote:

I agree with pretty much everything you've stated here. I love this game, with a passion that far outweighs anything I enjoy about Naruto Arena or Soul Arena. This game is better in every single way, but it has it's flaws.

I suggest making characters purchasable just like items, BUT at a much higher cost than they would be if you ran into them in battle. Maybe make it x4 the normal cost? For example:

Bottom line, players will still have to play your game. They have to earn the gold somehow right? This way, the frustration of players will disintegrate, and the high cost will also encourage players to just try their luck at Quick Battles. Not to mention this will give players with heavy pockets something to actually spend their Gold on.

I am sure alot of people would scream for x4 the normal cost.
  Posted on December 28, 2013 at 4:36 PM
1 thumbs up
zacrathedemon5, The Manipulative Defender of Santi

Contribution: 225 (171 + 54)
I very much agree with what you said. What's really sad about this is how WoN is so much better than both N-a and S-a in terms of gameplay, yet here I am playing N-a instead recently because the rarity/character/etc. system on WoN is aggravating me so much that I just don't find a point in playing any more as it is currently.

Sig made by InsanityisArt (Soul Arena member)
  Posted on December 28, 2013 at 4:40 PM
Murasaki_Karasu, The Trueborn Savior of the Ancestors

Contribution: 499 (416 + 83)
Demonkings wrote:

(...)

I am sure alot of people would scream for x4 the normal cost.

It is not supposed to be easy, it's supposed to be difficult. People are already screaming about the rarity system as it is. At least with this, many would stop complaining about the amount of fruitless Quick Battles they've played.
  Posted on December 28, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Your suggestion looks good, Karasu. It'd be great to have a way in which you could be sure you'd be able to recruit that character, and yeah, that's not supposed to be easy.
zacrathedemon5 wrote:

I very much agree with what you said. What's
really sad about this is how WoN is so much better than both N-a and S-a in terms of gameplay, yet here I am playing N-a instead recently because the rarity/character/etc. system on WoN is aggravating me so much that I just don't find a point in playing any more as it is currently.

Same here. This discourages me from playing WoN. I hope this rarity system gets fixed, otherwise this game may start losing players, which's a shame.
  Posted on December 28, 2013 at 10:28 PM
1 thumbs up
Nori, Wolf of the Seishin

Contribution: 2,123 (1,747 + 376)
My main issue with the whole 'fix the rarity system' is when you say fix you exclusively mean 'make it less effort'. That's not going to work, as has been said everywhere all the time, we need you to play the game. The idea of buying characters could have some merit, though I imagine if it's any more expensive than the characters are at full price now we'll get people whining they have to play the game too much to earn the gold to unlock them.

So in short, think of fixes instead of just whining about how hard it is, and you're more likely to get results.

Big thanks to JoeTurtle for this one^^

Akatsuki is Recruiting! Post an app to be part of Akatsuki on WoN: Reborn today!

Not sure who Akatsuki is? Check out the Akatsuki Clan Topic!
  Posted on December 28, 2013 at 11:27 PM
2 thumbs up
zacrathedemon5, The Manipulative Defender of Santi

Contribution: 225 (171 + 54)
Nori wrote:

My main issue with the whole 'fix the rarity system' is when you say fix you exclusively mean 'make it less effort'. That's not going to work, as has been said everywhere all the time, we need you to play the game. The idea of buying characters could have some merit, though I imagine if it's any more expensive than the characters are at full price now we'll get people whining they have to play the game too much to earn the gold to unlock them.

So in short, think of fixes instead of just whining about how hard it is, and you're more likely to get results.

I'm aware this has been said before, but I'll repeat it once more, as it is the most viable idea for improvement I've seen someone suggest for the system yet, and it's worth repeating: a battle mode with no risk of losing anything (rarity specifically), but no rewards gained from winning matches either. For team-testing or just playing for...well, plain old fun, against the AI without having to worry about any pesky backlash upon losing.

This wouldn't make the game any less time-consuming; hell, if anything, some people would probably play more, and it would give no reason to anyone already playing to play any less. I know I would for damn sure be playing if there was a mode like this. Plus, it wouldn't make the game "easier" either. It would only make it more reasonable, accessible, and playable.

Sig made by InsanityisArt (Soul Arena member)
  Posted on December 28, 2013 at 11:57 PM
5 thumbs up
Zadion, The Twisted Child of Death

Contribution: 1,077 (757 + 320)
Nori wrote:

Nori, I've gone through 200 matches now trying to find Kasui. Assuming each mach against the AI takes 3 minutes (and that is being generous), that's 600 minutes or 10 hours. And I haven't even found her yet. And for all I know, when I do find her, I'll lose. And if that happens, I just may quit WoN forever.

Do you really, honestly think that people should be investing this much time to find one bloody character? I'm calling bullshit on that, man. No one is going to want to. Playing against the AI isn't even entertaining enough to justify that time investment.

Yes, it needs to be easier - or at least more reliable. I don't really have any ideas, here. All I can really suggest is to make a character more likely to appear at higher rarity than lower rarity characters: e.g., with max rarity, Asami would only have a 2% chance of appearing while Yuurin has a 15% chance.

All I know is I'm losing my mind with how ridiculous this system is now. Ten bloody hours... son of a #!$*?.

hello, it's me. i was wondering if after all these years you'd like to meet
  Posted on December 29, 2013 at 6:35 AM
1 thumbs up
Nori, Wolf of the Seishin

Contribution: 2,123 (1,747 + 376)
Right, you call BS on it, that's fine. How do you want it fixed? It doesn't do us a lot of good if we go 'Okay, we'll change it to this' and then you lot just whine about the changes anyway, that gets both sides nowhere.

Negative appearance ratings based off excessive rarity might be possible, but I'm not sure how the game would respond to losing the staples of its team building pools.

We could also try something with targeting surrendering, that was a lot of the reasoning behind the current changes to rarity gain anyway. Perhaps something like lower the penalty for a loss to 3 games worth of percentage (so losses on lower levels cost less than they do on higher levels) but surrendering costs significantly more. This would stop people just sitting at max rarity, surrendering then winning then surrendering and winning forever to get what they want, and may allow us to ease up on the new rarity a bit.

Or perhaps we could institute some form of head hunter option in the Dojo, where you can pay X amount for a certain character you don't yet have, and it lowers their rarity by an amount set by whatever tier you pay for. This let's people on lower rarity who have excess gold to throw it towards a specific character they want, plus also makes a loss while hunting high rarity characters less painful as it gives you more of a window to find them in.

Or, you guys could do the job I've been asking you to do ALL THIS TIME and come up with a suggestion yourselves.

Big thanks to JoeTurtle for this one^^

Akatsuki is Recruiting! Post an app to be part of Akatsuki on WoN: Reborn today!

Not sure who Akatsuki is? Check out the Akatsuki Clan Topic!
  Posted on December 29, 2013 at 6:47 AM
Zadion, The Twisted Child of Death

Contribution: 1,077 (757 + 320)
Nori wrote:

Right, you call BS on it, that's fine. How do you want it fixed? It doesn't do us a lot of good if we go 'Okay, we'll change it to this' and then you lot just whine about the changes anyway, that gets both sides nowhere.

The point in my post was that you said...
Nori wrote:

My main issue with the whole 'fix the rarity system' is when you say fix you exclusively mean 'make it less effort'.

It does need to be less effort, because my 10 hour investment to not even find Kasui is awful. T_T
Nori wrote:

Or perhaps we could institute some form of head hunter option in the Dojo, where you can pay X amount for a certain character you don't yet have, and it lowers their rarity by an amount set by whatever tier you pay for. This let's people on lower rarity who have excess gold to throw it towards a specific character they want, plus also makes a loss while hunting high rarity characters less painful as it gives you more of a window to find them in.

This is actually a really, really good idea. By lowering a character's rarity. It helps players with lower rarity find a character, makes the rarity loss when losing with high rarity less painful, and a specific character having less rarity means it has far less competition to appear, making the chance of encountering it significantly higher.

I'm down with that.

hello, it's me. i was wondering if after all these years you'd like to meet
  Posted on December 29, 2013 at 3:43 PM
2 thumbs up

Nori wrote:

Have you properly read my post? Here, right before the "website and forums" part:
"I'd like to suggest a fix and certain way of unlocking characters, rather than having to blindly hope one of them shows up. Dunno, some hard-ass missions, some kinda battle which makes you always fight a high-rarity character, whatever. Or some alternative missions with stuff like the 300 damage thing, the triple kill thing, etc. to fulfill. Or even tourneys like the Kasui tournament for the highest rarity characters."

Also, we're not "whining". C'mon Nori, we're giving you guys suggestions to make this game btter and make people want to play it. I'm seriously considering quitting with the current system and I think many people are as well. We've been saying what we think that's wrong with the game and suggesting how to fix it, and you say we're whining. What else do you want, maybe you want us to go and fix the game ourselves, since we have the power to do that. [/sarcasm]
On a side note, I do like your suggestions.

Also, anyone has any thoughts about the suggestion regarding the swapping and stuff? No one commented about it...
  Posted on December 29, 2013 at 4:41 PM
1 thumbs up
Takeo, The Lost Shadow of the Moon

Contribution: 545 (483 + 62)
Bankai-San wrote:

I'd like to suggest a fix and certain way of unlocking characters, rather than having to blindly hope one of them shows up. Dunno, some hard-ass missions, some kinda battle which makes you always fight a high-rarity character, whatever. Or some alternative missions with stuff like the 300 damage thing, the triple kill thing, etc. to fulfill. Or even tourneys like the Kasui tournament for the highest rarity characters.

How exactly does this help? You keep saying, "Dunno" like you're unsure of yourself. You're not giving us suggestions, you're just dribbling whatever can come out of your mouth. If you're going to make a suggestion, be confident about it like Zadion or Nori.

All of your suggestions do nothing, you must keep in mind you are playing against AIs. Things like triple kills, 300 damage, "Hard-ass" missions are all overcome with human intelligence. As Nori stated, most if not all of these reviews are complaining about it is always "Please make the game less effort for us." The only one that even makes my eyes glint is the multiple tourney one. The problem is, how do you expect it to fill so quickly? And even at that, how would we determine which character to put up? Should it always be the one YOU want? Would you get pissed at us if we put up someone like say Amaya, because I'm more than sure that you would. You say for "the highest rarity characters," why's that? Are those the characters you think people have the most trouble with? I already own Yuurin, Eien, Isshou, what about me? What would these tournaments do for me if they're ONLY for the highest rarity characters? You know who I had trouble finding? I had trouble finding Hatsune and Seika.

I don't know if you realize, but this game is more alive than it has ever been. At least 90ish people online everyday compared to the amazing 20 we used to break pre-rpg. Forums used to be dead with topics that would sit on "new topics" for at least 3 days.

The best suggestion I've seen so far is:
M-K wrote:

While I believe 4 times the price might be a tad too much, this is definitely the best solution I've seen.

If you're not going to work for your character, then you should work for your gold. No bullshit rarity to keep you down, right?
  Posted on December 29, 2013 at 6:49 PM
3 thumbs up

I'm done bothering. It's awesome how everytime I suggest something you guys get worked up and start a flame war. How does this help? Giving you guys ideas which you may or not like and use to improve the game. Which character to be rewarded with the tourney? Tourneys could be held for either all characters with time, or decided by poll, or something like "the 4 with highest rarity find"; it's something that could be decided once the idea got approved, if it got. Less effort? No, less frustration. Finding a character is luck, not effort. You guys get all mad for nothing, seriously. If I'm giving suggestions it's because I like the game and want it to be always better, and if lots of people have complained over the same thing again and again, I think it's because there is something wrong with it. But again, I'm done bothering. It just ends up with flame wars anyway.