Topic: "Veteran's" Review

There are no members reading this topic.

Posted on December 28, 2013 at 3:09 PM
5 thumbs up
MitzT, Smoker of the Winter

Contribution: 629 (529 + 100)
I feel I've been quiet on my overall opinion of the game since the reborn relaunch, so here's gonna be my full review of the game.

As a player of first Naruto-Arena, then Soul-Arena and now War of Ninja, I can honestly say that War of Ninja is much, much better. The addition of swaps / items and the improved energy swap system makes for a more strategic game instead of a luck based game. The characters are well thought out and fight with a certain theme in mind (not just the art themes but also the roles in-game.)

The in-game levels for me, haven't quite lived up to what was proposed before the Reborn, but I've learned to live with it and come to like it. I've wanted an Arena Game with an RPG aspect to it for a while, so the addition itself is not what bothers me.

Here's where War of Ninja has lost its charm for me. before the rarity updates, it already took quite a while to find certain high rarity characters and you still had to beat them, which on Hard, doesn't happen 100% of the time. It now takes a hardcore player to even unlock every character, which I think shouldn't be the main focus of the game.

I need only some of the higher rarity characters, and have stopped playing because I simply either cannot find them, or my rarity drops so quickly that it becomes impossible to even recruit a single character without grinding for weeks. Honestly, this needs a fix. It should still be hard to get the characters, but I think there should be an alternative way to get them, a surefire way.

I feel WoN has gone down competitively. The ladders were great, and with the streak ladder, kind of provided a competitive place to test teams aswell (at least for me.) Now, don't get me wrong, I think the tournament Ladder is a great feature, and makes WoN regain a bit of competitiveness, but all in all the game has laid more focus on playing against AI for the last couple of characters you can never seem to get.

Additional Features

First of all, I like the skins. I really do, but it's a little messy and takes some getting used to to upload them. I've had trouble with skins that seemed perfectly fine to me, so I couldn't figure out what to change etc.

The Clan Wars proposal (not out yet), is something I honestly don't like at all. Time is being put into a feature that is literally a gold sink and nothing more IMO. This feature is gonna create rage aswell, with the way it's being built up now.

my conclusion for additional features is: although I like alot of the new features being added into this game, I feel more emphasis needs to be put on features that actually help the game out, instead of attempting to make a "useless" aspect of the game more interesting by adding more "useless" things to it.

War of Ninja site / forums

The forums and site are good, not much to complain about. Except for one small thing, but I'd rather post this in the suggestions topic:
The "New Topics" page needs more New Topics than there is in the small ticker.
  Posted on December 28, 2013 at 10:01 PM
Ein, The Crystal Fire of the Red Dawn

Contribution: 821 (713 + 108)
I 100% agree with your opinions on recruiting and competitiveness. Points ladder is not what it used to be and Streak ladder is completely absent, which is a really bad thing. Recruiting is awful, as it's 100% about luck. Not all players have so much time on their hands. I still don't have about 10 characters, because I've never even battled them. I'm pretty sure that this is why this game has been slowly losing vets (including me).
My profile.
Albums I've been digging recently:
Trophy Scars - Holy Vacants
The Gaslight Anthem - Get Hurt
Joyce Manor - Never Hungover Again

Posted on December 28, 2013 at 10:27 PM
1 thumbs up
Murasaki_Karasu, The Trueborn Savior of the Ancestors

Contribution: 499 (416 + 83)
I also agree with everything stated here. As for recruiting, I'm going to quote my suggestion I posted in another thread.
Murasaki_Karasu wrote:

I suggest making characters purchasable just like items, BUT at a much higher cost than they would be if you ran into them in battle. Maybe make it x4 the normal cost? For example:

Yuurin Battle Price: 901
Yuurin Purchase Price: 3,604

Bottom line, players will still have to play your game. They have to earn the gold somehow right? This way, the frustration of players will disintegrate, and the high cost will also encourage players to just try their luck at Quick Battles. Not to mention this will give players with heavy pockets something to actually spend their Gold on.

Posted on December 29, 2013 at 1:08 AM
1 thumbs up
Nestec, Dreamer

Contribution: 1,507 (1,327 + 180)
Murasaki_Karasu wrote:

I also agree with everything stated here. As for recruiting, I'm going to quote my suggestion I posted in another thread.

That's a fantastic idea, honestly. I only need Yuurin, and I'm willing to drop 2k gold on him because he's the only thing in this game I'm really missing.
  Posted on December 30, 2013 at 7:47 PM
naruto-leaf, Swordsman

Contribution: 2,005 (1,806 + 199)
Good points made. The game is not the same thing without the ladders. The skins is a good feature but we can see some problems with it. There is not much encouraging players to play anymore and the high rarity is too much for some people (most people).
Removed for ???
  Posted on January 6, 2014 at 9:37 AM
Magikarp, The Flaming Savior of the Honoo

Contribution: 4 (4 + 0)
Do people really have this much of an issue with the rarity system? It degenerated almost exclusively to that topic fairly quickly. As a fairly average player(I've never made waves on the ladder), I never have issues capping out rarity. I've been maxed out on rarity almost constantly since like level 15, and it only really ever drops when I'm leveling characters that are at abysmally low levels. Grinding on hard really isn't that difficult.

That being said, the streak ladder is dearly missed as a competitive area that doesn't have stakes as high as the main ladder. That, along with the difficulty of finding a game with a human player are the only things that even remotely bother me at this point. The player base just isn't what it used to be, and throwing in clan activities hardly does anything to bring new players in. It's just an incentive for the already dying community to stay.