Poll: When would you like to hear about next?

9 vote(s) since January 5, 2014 at 8:59 AM

• Pre-History (-12,000 MS -> -2,000 MS) (0) (0%)
  • The Demon Lords (-2,000 MS -> -18 MS) (1) (11.11%)
  • The Era of Shoguns (-18 MS -> 863 DJR) (4) (44.44%)
  • The Fall (863 DJR -> Present) (4) (44.44%)
 Topic: War of Ninja: The History of Sokoku

There are no members reading this topic.

Posted on January 5, 2014 at 8:59 AM
7 thumbs up
Nori, Wolf of the Seishin

Contribution: 2,123 (1,747 + 376)
After I mentioned I was working on something, I got a lot of PMs begging me to reveal my plans. So I will do so. Note, this does not mean it is coming soon, just that this is what I am working on, because you guys asked to know. Also, pending your responses, I may show a little more from the history later on, so vote in the poll and we'll see where we go.

What I am working on is an expansive history of Sokoku, the continent on which War of Ninja is set. The history will start in around -12,000 MS, and carry on until 866 DJR and beyond as the game moves forward in its time. It will explain the rise and fall of the Shogunate, and those that came before it. The following is an excerpt from the unedited, pre-condensed version of the History of Sokoku, which will hopefully give you an idea on what I'm doing and where I'm taking this project.
History wrote:

119 JS (19 Shobu)~Hanto in Flames
For a while after the defeat of his sister, the reign of Shogun Shobu was relatively peaceful, it seemed after the Centenary Rebellions neither the Shogunate nor the ninja clans within it had the desire to go to war again so soon. As oft was the case, this would be short lived, and communication between the Shogunate’s capital in Kanri and the White Guardians located in Hanto grew ever increasingly rare. By 119 JS, they had halted completely, forcing the Shogun to send a team to investigate what had taken place in Hanto to silence the region. When the team sent to survey the situation arrived, they found all out war had broken out between the Niiro and the Aoiro, with the other clans in the region dragged into either side of the conflict. The White Guardians themselves had split between supporting either side, but had all died without any successors. The Shogunate’s army had been broken between the two factions, and the survey team lacked the authority to unite the fractured forces to stablise the region.
Two years later, the Shogunate sent a large expeditionary force with White Guardian backing to restore peace to the region. The Shogunate forces serving the Aoiro and Niiro defected back to the Shogunate, leaving the two ninja clans facing a vastly superior force than either could stand against. A hasty alliance brought the Aorio and Niiro together as they fought to expel the Shogunate from Hanto altogether. A fierce war raged for several years, but in the end the Shogunate proved victorious. Fearing a repeat of what had happened in Hanto, Shogun Shobu limited the number of White Guardians to one per region, to act as his representitive in the region. The excess White Guardians were pulled back to Kanri and formed into an elite military unit which would serve as the Shogun’s personal force on the battlefield. This restructure shifted more power back to Kanri and away from the regions, limiting the strength of any separatist factions that dared to rise.

Big thanks to JoeTurtle for this one^^

Akatsuki is Recruiting! Post an app to be part of Akatsuki on WoN: Reborn today!

Not sure who Akatsuki is? Check out the Akatsuki Clan Topic!
  Posted on January 5, 2014 at 12:44 PM
Murasaki_Karasu, The Trueborn Savior of the Ancestors

Contribution: 499 (416 + 83)
Love it. Being just a sample, this makes me eager for more. I've posited that this might've been what you were working on. A major reason I play is for the story, thus to finally receive some backstory is of paramount importance to me.

Once the full story has been brought to light I'll be able to profess better understanding of the reason why certain clans came to their present feuding as well as what the powers that be have in store. Rich history of each clan and those that came before them also peak my interest.

I personally would like to see more on the Demon Lords next.
  Posted on January 5, 2014 at 8:55 PM
1 thumbs up
edwinas5524, The Untouchable Swordsman of the Nobles

Contribution: 2,382 (2,161 + 221)
wow really nice story and I think things like that should have links in 1st page, because now here in forum jungles it will be forgotten.... I think others who will join this game or rejoin it after like a month won't know about it and I think its really interesting to know WoN history....
  Posted on January 5, 2014 at 11:19 PM
2 thumbs up

I do believe it'll go in the game manual in a history section, so it's easily accessible for new and old users alike. As to individuals clans, they're unlikely to get a lot of focus in this particular effort, if only because I've still got 400 years to go and my wordcount is much higher than we'll upload to the manual, don't want a great wall of text to scare people away.

What is more likely to happen is I will, after the condensed version is uploaded to the manual, put the full version on the forums somewhere, so people who are interested aren't missing out on anything.

Akatsuki is Recruiting! Post an app to be part of Akatsuki on WoN: Reborn today!

Posted on January 29, 2014 at 2:16 PM
3 thumbs up

Alright, I'll chuck another one up, come on and get some discussion guys, make it fun. You lot did ask me for this, it's no fun when you ask and then don't get involved.
The wrote:

-1,183 MS~The Four Demon Lords
In -1,183 MS, an alliance was formed between the Demon Lords of the Niiro, Kozan, Renga and Naiteki clans. They agreed to divide Sokoku between themselves, and their combined forces were more than any other clans could stand before. Within a few generations, all of Sokoku was in the hands of the four Demon Lords. Many sporadic rebellions prevented their rule from being likened to that of the Demon, but they emulated every tyrannic aspect of his reign with fervour. However, between the four an uneasy truce was usually maintained. Large scale wars were rare, and were often fought to resolve disputes, not drive for territory or power. It wasn’t perfect, but it was working.

Posted on January 29, 2014 at 5:02 PM
Ninja_of_Cloud, The Drunken Saint

Contribution: 151 (120 + 31)
I would love to see more of this history. If there was a separate manual with nothing but War of Ninja lore and history, I would probably read it cover to cover... So to speak. :P

Can't wait to see more, Nori.

Also are we allowed to ask questions about the history in relation to the current storyline? Like, will we ever be introduced to any of the members of this White Guardian elite military unit? Because that sounds very interesting. I realize that comes pretty close to spoiler territory, just thought maybe I should ask in case that hasn't already been speculated about.
  Posted on January 29, 2014 at 5:07 PM
Nestec, Dreamer

Contribution: 1,507 (1,327 + 180)
Oh $#?@ son, we got another new clan in the mix: the Naiteki. I wonder if this is the clan of that mysterious figure seen on the "My Account" page.
  Posted on January 29, 2014 at 5:08 PM
JoeTurtle, The Lost Explorer of True Sight

Contribution: 404 (300 + 104)
Nestec wrote:

Oh $?*! son, we got another new clan in the mix: the Naiteki. I wonder if this is the clan of that mysterious figure seen on the "My Account" page.

Well, Naiteki is part of B4. And from what I understand, there could be some B4 characters already floating about. It could be a possibility.
  Posted on January 29, 2014 at 11:24 PM
1 thumbs up

Yes, you can ask questions. I reserve the right to to answer any of them, but I'll do what I can.

Also, there are two elite units of the White Guardians, and yes, I have plans for a few of them to be met.

Posted on January 30, 2014 at 4:37 AM
Murasaki_Karasu, The Trueborn Savior of the Ancestors

Contribution: 499 (416 + 83)
I know the timeline pertains to the past, but this leads me to believe the Region 3 Demon Lord could be a Renga? Although that contradicts the image for the R3 Book.

Naiteki means inner, mental, or inherited; so I'm pretty intrigued on what their theme will be.
  Posted on January 30, 2014 at 6:44 AM

Well, there's a topic dedicated to discussing book 3, have fun with your new information^^

Also, reset the poll to see what I put up next.

Posted on January 30, 2014 at 7:51 AM
Ninja_of_Cloud, The Drunken Saint

Contribution: 151 (120 + 31)
Nori wrote:

Yes, you can ask questions. I reserve the right to to answer any of them, but I'll do what I can.

Also, there are two elite units of the White Guardians, and yes, I have plans for a few of them to be met.

Awesome. Thank you, Nori. I can't wait to learn more about them. I get that the Shogunate has fallen apart currently in the storyline, but I'd love to see more from the ex-members of the Shogunate in general. So the idea of introducing characters more closely tied to the Shogunate really excites me.