Poll: Do you prefer the new descriptions?

28 vote(s) since May 30, 2014 at 4:09 PM

• Hell yeah! (13) (46.43%)
  • I think it's better... (10) (35.71%)
  • I don't really care. (2) (7.14%)
  • They are worse! (3) (10.71%)
 Topic: Upcoming new skill descriptions.

There are no members reading this topic.

This topic was closed by Hikaru
  Posted on May 30, 2014 at 4:09 PM
10 thumbs up
Yukigaaru, The Respected Commander of the Military

Contribution: 1,628 (1,085 + 543)
After I participated in a draft tournament and got beaten to death, I came to a conclusion that it is way to hard to play War Of Ninja for me without a quick way to read skill descriptions.

Although a lot of veterans know all characters and their skills by heart, it has become a problem for casual players to read descriptions and battle at the same time.

Over the time descriptions have become extremely bulky to a point where the text has crossed the maximum height. Although the idea of most skills are pretty simple, the way descriptions are currently presented make them very hard to adopt quickly.

Ask yourself:

How many times do you have to read a description to fully understand what it is supposed to do?

What information about a skill you can adopt by looking at it for only 1-3 seconds?

By introducing HTML powered descriptions we soon make War Of Ninja more accessible to those that don't know skills by heart yet.

We are still working on the descriptions and some changes to the client that make them possible. However, we wanted to give you a preview of what things are going to look like.

Here is an example of Hebi Nozuchi:

Here is an example of Budou Ken:

Here is an example of Omoi Yukigaaru:

We are looking forward to your opinions and feedback!
  Posted on May 30, 2014 at 4:21 PM
Over, Prisoner

Contribution: 2 (2 + 0)
This is freaking awesome.

now i can own people better
  Posted on May 30, 2014 at 4:42 PM
edwinas5524, The Untouchable Swordsman of the Nobles

Contribution: 2,382 (2,161 + 221)
I think its very useful because with new characters you're like what happened, why this or that? the answer is read description because there are some things you've missed...
  Posted on May 30, 2014 at 5:08 PM
GregarFalar, The Relaxed Tactician of the Nobles

Contribution: 78 (53 + 25)
One thing I think is missing from this preliminar build is that alterations have to be clearer IMO, as in what is altering what (Perhaps some parenthesis after the rest)

Otherwise, I`m looking foward to this, would make it simpler to simplify the explanation to someone who wants to get in the game
  Posted on May 30, 2014 at 5:13 PM
zacrathedemon5, The Manipulative Defender of Santi

Contribution: 225 (171 + 54)
Looks like this will work out great!

Sig made by InsanityisArt (Soul Arena member)
  Posted on May 30, 2014 at 6:17 PM
Johnny(TM), The Untouchable Veteran

Contribution: 1,142 (856 + 286)
I support this idea.

This could be an issue that is not only coming in WoN alone, but I can relate to the card game Yu-Gi-Oh! The game started with simple effects, but when they got more complex, the description became something you need to read with a freaking magnifier. Now if you face the card the first time while you are in the middle of a card tournament (where you battle for 2/3 in a fixed time) that is quite annoying. This is more like turning Yu-Gi-Oh! into Hearthstone design, BUT I suggest to think over the overall design on paper first to make it absolutely straightforward and player friendly.

The only issue I find against is the project's size. Completing it to every character's every skill could possibly take a lot of time, thus slowing the overall development on other areas of the game. I already feel like that the game is moving REALLY slow on updates.
  Posted on May 30, 2014 at 6:19 PM
llui, Lackey of the BETA

Contribution: 456 (383 + 73)
It would help all players (maybe more noobs than veterans xD).
  Posted on May 30, 2014 at 7:15 PM
Darkamante, The Lost Demon

Contribution: 677 (596 + 81)
Will help noobs, I'm all in favor of that.

Nice change.
Don't mind me, just trying to reach #1 in the achievement ladder...

Zezima's second best player sponsored by Zezima Bank Inc.

I'm not playing this for now...sorry

Posted on May 30, 2014 at 7:30 PM
Nestec, Dreamer

Contribution: 1,507 (1,327 + 180)
I think it's a great change. Just make sure to keep it consistent -- Nozuchi's Aggressive defense should probably say "COUNTERED Enemy," rather than just "Enemy."

EDIT: Nevermind, didn't read closely.
  Posted on May 30, 2014 at 8:12 PM
Shikate, The Untouchable Shadow of the Ancients

Contribution: 841 (702 + 139)
Will there be a way to go back to previous descriptions? This new system is nice and definitely helpful for new players, but for me it's too colorful :D
  Posted on May 30, 2014 at 8:19 PM
1 thumbs up
Murasaki_Karasu, The Trueborn Savior of the Ancestors

Contribution: 499 (416 + 83)
I really dig this. Honestly this issue has also plagued the other two arena games as well, where there are three or four effects per skill, and then on top of that those effects become altered by other skill effects. It makes it near impossible for new players to catch on quickly.

I also enjoy the overall aesthetic design of the new descriptions. Thumbs up.

Edit: I would keep "untargetable" as "invulnerable" though, because some skills do in fact still allow you to target them if their skill bypasses invulnerability.
  Posted on May 30, 2014 at 9:17 PM
Squirtle, The Blue Elite of the Warrior Tortoise

Contribution: 1,143 (1,051 + 92)
Murasaki_Karasu wrote:

Edit: I would keep "untargetable" as "invulnerable" though, because some skills do in fact still allow you to target them if their skill bypasses invulnerability.

I agree.

I like the general Idea but some of it looks kind of funky. I would add more colors to differentiate things such as "Altered" and stuff.

Just my two cents but I like the general idea!
Thankies low for da avatar :3

Posted on May 31, 2014 at 3:24 AM
1 thumbs up
JoeTurtle, The Lost Explorer of True Sight

Contribution: 404 (300 + 104)
This is a great way to make skills simpler to understand, especially when looking at skills for the first time (which will help new players tremendously).

This is just me being nit picky, though:
1) Keep the verbs in the same tense. (ie, sometimes you use "deal x damage" while other times you use "deals x damage." Same goes for affect, stun, grant, become, etc.)

2) For Devour, shouldn't the stun be only last 2 turns, as by the 3rd turn the character is already dead? (Unless facing Kudoku, although I can't remember if the skill ends the 3rd turn or if the character remains stuns. Will have to research this.)

3) Is there a reason for combining melee and ranged into physical? From what I understand, skills are still melee and ranged, just instead of knowing from the description, you have to look at the classlist. It seems almost pointless to me.
  Posted on May 31, 2014 at 3:39 AM
Roach, The Masked Samurai of the Red Dawn

Contribution: 1,303 (1,108 + 195)
One quick nitpick from me, personally.

In the invulnerability skills, you should put "Become invulnerable for one turn" Instead of "Untargetable"

Untargetable implies that they can't be targeted at all, which is not the case if things like Yuzuki and Ikuchi are in play.
  Posted on May 31, 2014 at 5:14 AM
RagicanoX, The Black Inferno

Contribution: 1,467 (1,261 + 206)
Holy crap this is awesome, I can't wait for this to be released! Keep up the good work! :D