Topic: New Skill Descriptions and Fonts!

There are no members reading this topic.

This topic was closed by Nori
  Posted on July 9, 2014 at 11:54 AM
4 thumbs up
Yuudai, Savior

Contribution: 1,233 (813 + 420)
War of Ninja has a new look! We've completely revamped the skill descriptions to make them fast and easy to read. And we've added flavour texts to all of the skills and items in the game to add an extra layer of immersion.

The battle-client has also gotten a few changes. You'll notice it is much more compact now. The menu and information panel in the lower quarter of the screen have been removed. The menu is now hidden behind the little gear at the top right of the screen. The information panel now appears when you mouseover a skill. And when you click on the character avatars, a fully fledged character popup will appear with all the information you need.

With the changes to the skill descriptions, the rest of the website couldn't stay behind. So we've completely re-evaluated the fonts we chose way back when. As a result, we hope you'll find War of Ninja better looking and easier to read.

Finally, we've also had to change some of the terms and definitions. Melee and Ranged damage are out, and they've been replaced by Physical damage. This change allows a hand full of melee and ranged skills to become tactic:

- Dawn Breakers is now a tactic skill and is no longer related to melee as it now deals physical damage.
- Aggressive defense is no longer related to melee as it now deals (tactic) physical damage.
- Swipe stance is no longer related to melee as it now deals (tactic) physical damage.
- One Step Ahead is now a tactic skill and is no longer related to melee as it now deals physical damage.
- Stalking Dragon is now a tactic skill and is no longer related to melee as it now deals physical damage.

Some of the other terms have also been changed, so be sure to check out the Terms and Definitions section of the manual.

We've worked very hard to bring you these changes, and we are quite happy with the results. Unfortunately the promised Item Weeks had to suffer a bit, but we believe it was worth it. Let us know what you think of the update in this topic.

Have fun!
  Posted on July 9, 2014 at 1:17 PM
Shikate, The Untouchable Shadow of the Ancients

Contribution: 840 (701 + 139)
I'm afraid I can't read anything about skills. When I click some skill lights are turning off and there's no description. Is it bugged or maybe I forgot about something? Also, battle client is really small on my full HD resolution. Something like 1/3 of screen. Does anyone know how to fix it?
My ideas make WON a better place, so like them and the mods will make them happen!!!
  Posted on July 9, 2014 at 1:59 PM
Yukigaaru, The Respected Commander of the Military

Contribution: 1,628 (1,085 + 543)
Shikate wrote:

I'm afraid I can't read anything about skills. When I click some skill lights are turning off and there's no description. Is it bugged or maybe I forgot about something? Also, battle client is really small on my full HD resolution. Something like 1/3 of screen. Does anyone know how to fix it?

try a cache refresh in your browser.
  Posted on July 9, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Now lights aren't turning off usually and I rarely can see skill description. When that happens, it looks like that:

My ideas make WON a better place, so like them and the mods will make them happen!!!
  Posted on July 9, 2014 at 2:43 PM
Desperado, The Respected Lieutenant of the BETA

Contribution: 22 (20 + 2)
Looks much much better than before. I really like the new font. I noticed 1 small mistake. Torajis summon should read: "Gain [random], until the protector is destroyed." At the moment it says "Gain [red] ..." which is not true ingame.
Also no problems whatsoever with Chrome.
  Posted on July 9, 2014 at 3:13 PM
Nestec, Dreamer

Contribution: 1,507 (1,327 + 180)
Great update! I've spotted something interesting though -- there are two new "bypass" and "uncounterable" skill properties. The second tag makes sense, but do you guys think "bypass" might be a little vague for new players? Especially when they see that things like Yuudai's Execution ignores invulnerability.

EDIT: Oooh I also really like the new context explanations for the skills. It's nice to know what exactly the characters are doing in the skills.

EDIT 2: Shikate wtf is that team you were using....eeww.
  Posted on July 9, 2014 at 3:25 PM
asastreja, The Ruthless Tactician of the Seishin

Contribution: 135 (113 + 22)
Also, there seems to be no update, but Akira's Passivism now deals 15 affliction at level 3?

Edit: On topic, I really like this update, it's much easier to understand everything, the in-game client is clearer. And to read either the character's impression of a skill or what it does is amazing!

Although, not a big fan of the new Fonts....

Edit again: Off topic, Cho's skills are visible to anyone, and her rarity is 1, so does that mean Tenkei is already out?

Edit 3: Nijime's Sink into the Earth says, that during this skill Gaia's Wrath is allowed, disallow Sink into the Earth, shouldn't it be Menhir Missile.
  Posted on July 9, 2014 at 3:44 PM
1 thumbs up
Nestec, Dreamer

Whoa, I'm not understanding why the Akira change happened. Unless it's just a skill-text error.

Also, is there a way to view our opponents' profile information now? Nothing happens when I click on my opponent's avatar.
Qoute:

Although, not a big fan of the new Fonts....

I agree here, I think the text looks too big, narrow, and silly now.
  Posted on July 9, 2014 at 3:48 PM

Nestec wrote:

EDIT 2: Shikate wtf is that team you were using....eeww.

Totally random team just to check how new items work exactly.
  Posted on July 9, 2014 at 4:32 PM
Yukigaaru, The Respected Commander of the Military

Contribution: 1,628 (1,085 + 543)
Shikate wrote:

Now lights aren't turning off usually and I rarely can see skill description. When that happens, it looks like that:

What browser are you using?
  Posted on July 9, 2014 at 4:48 PM
4 thumbs up
Rogue-nin, The Flaming Wolf

Contribution: 39 (29 + 10)
Right then! While the majority seems more or less satisfied by the change and while I do hate to be "the one" that's being fussy about stuff I have to admit that the update - in game wise - is simply annoying.

Sure, I get the idea behind it as sometimes it was rather bothersome to read heaps of writing (sometimes over and over again) just to understand what a character's skill is doing exactly, but I find the pop-ups of descriptions, especially the ones for your own team, to be quite disruptive to the general flow of the game.

Can't say I like it at the moment but it might simply be a matter of getting used to things being presented this way, so I'll give it a bit of time.

Didn't have a problem with how things were before, though it seemed most did, hence the change.

The fonts and general expect (before you go in-game) I'm quite digging that, but other than that it's a big let down for me. I'll again underline the fact that it's just the first impression and might grow to like it/get used to it over time.

Regardless, well done for trying to make things better for the players and don't take what I said to heart. You can not possibly please everybody all the time and your efforts are to be praised.

Overall, well done guys for the upgrade!
  Posted on July 9, 2014 at 5:02 PM
5 thumbs up
Ninja_of_Cloud, The Drunken Saint

Contribution: 151 (120 + 31)
I'm going to have to agree with Rogue-nin, I think the skill descriptions popping up in the middle of the screen breaks the look and feel of gameplay. It's cool that it reduces clicking and such, but I preferred the descriptions when they were at the bottom of the game window. Is there any way we could personally choose to revert our setting back to that?

Other than that small nitpick, I love everything that you guys have changed. Great ideas and I appreciate the work you've put into it. Really excited to try out gameplay with Physical skills rather than Melee and Ranged.
  Posted on July 9, 2014 at 5:26 PM
1 thumbs up
maxfire54, The Flaring Savior of the Seishin

Contribution: 22 (21 + 1)
Not a big fan, it takes so much away with the darkening of the screen. And the game client is so small it feels so confined to a small space. If we could revert some of the changes back to the way they were but keep some of it that'd be great
  Posted on July 9, 2014 at 5:27 PM
4 thumbs up
Nestec, Dreamer

I wouldn't mind the skills appearing in the middle of the screen IF they were triggered by clicking only. As it is now, the slightest hover of your mouse over almost any part of the screen will cause the pop-up window to obstruct your view of everything else.

That is also my only problem with this update.

As for Akira's Passivism, it seems to be just a typo -- the skill still only deals 10 damage per turn at max rank.
  Posted on July 9, 2014 at 5:29 PM
4 thumbs up
Rogue-nin, The Flaming Wolf

Contribution: 39 (29 + 10)
Ninja_of_Cloud wrote:

Is there any way we could personally choose to revert our setting back to that?

I think it would be awesome to enable that feature if it's possible. That way everybody can have the type of in-gaming experience they want.

Another reason why I liked it better before: bigger in-game screen. Now that the skills and other options (surrender, animated skills and advanced mode) have been hidden, the in-game screen is rather small.

Edit
Nestec wrote:

I wouldn't mind the skills appearing in the middle of the screen IF they were triggered by clicking only.

Exactly!