Topic: War of Ninja: The Future

There are no members reading this topic.

Posted on September 24, 2014 at 8:58 PM
Zadion, The Twisted Child of Death

Contribution: 1,077 (757 + 320)
Tir wrote:

To be honest, I feel like the members here are pretty disappointed seeing as how many people were actually hyped up about the document that they completed together. I was expecting more of this was about that thing.

This.

Legitimate question: what was the point of telling the userbase to compile all that information in the Google doc if not a single bit of it was going to be implemented?

hello, it's me. i was wondering if after all these years you'd like to meet
  Posted on September 24, 2014 at 9:52 PM
1 thumbs up
Lilscoot88, The Radiant Diviner of the Clouded Dreams

Contribution: 318 (251 + 67)
Trucy wrote:

Dedicating most of your time onto putting WoN on tablet instead of actually doing things that the current WoN needs? Sounds like a great idea! This feels like the items week, font update mess. I don't even own a tablet.

This whole tablet thing probably won't get you very far or if anywhere but it's good to remain hopefully I guess.

In their defense, mobile gaming is more convenience and more popular than browser games, especially flash browser games. They plan to gain more players by migrating to mobile. Though in their position, this isn't a wise move. Porting this game to mobile requires a lot of code redesign and the risk is too high because people may not even acknowledge it. In addition, there's still only a team of two programmers working for the game. This isn't a bad idea in general, but it is in the current position of WoN.

Posted on September 24, 2014 at 9:54 PM
6 thumbs up
daryel-arena, Fugitive of the BETA

Contribution: 13 (5 + 8)
Keep posting feigned attempts to entice the 2 people who play this game to keep logging in another day while the thousands on the other 2 sites are left wondering if there will ever be updates or fixes to the Admin CP. As well, waste of time IMO to sell this as 'tablet based', if it's not playable on a smartphone who will exactly play it? The user rate of Phones to tablets must be 4/5:1 or more, as well, still remarkably less than those who have access to a PC capable of playing War of Ninja.
#R.I.P NA/SA.

My question I guess would be...It would be nice if the Administrators, not Nori , because let's face it, all he does is write , not code (no offense intended I think), could answer if they're going to give up on the Web-based version of this Website, and in turn the other 2 that shall not be named, when this 'tablet' transition occurs.

Don't touch it Tsugaga or I'll repost. I was on-topic.
|| N-B Showcase || I.Am.Entity ~13th || TwiS <3 ||
  Posted on September 24, 2014 at 10:06 PM
5 thumbs up
NelielChan, The Thunderous Commander

Contribution: 95 (56 + 39)
This is disheartening news to say the least. All this wait, these months without a single update, and we finally get a word from the admins telling us that they're not even going to focus on improving War of Ninja? Like... I really don't know what to say about this other than that this is the LAST thing the game needs right now.

The game lags for no reason (thanks to the wonderful UI/font update that stopped items week). We haven't had a character release since Cho. There's STILL no third part to the story, or a third region. The proposed item week was a massive failure. We got a UI/font update that introduced more problems than solutions. The chat consistently breaks for weeks at a time with no fix. The pvp aspect of this game might as well be dead. The aforementioned UI/font update introduced a problem with custom skins with in-game descriptions. We haven't had a balance update in AGES (not like we need it with no active pvp though /sarcasm). And this is just the problems the game has now that I can think of off the top of my head.

And you mean to tell me the admins thought that the best thing for the game was a damn new version of the game for tablets? Give me a reason why I should look forward to this since I don't own a tablet, and maybe I'll look at this in a way other than utter disgust and disappointment.

As others have mentioned, what about that Google Docs document you had everyone add to, Nori? Did that even get discussed, or was that pushed aside because it's not what the admins determine important to the game, or because actually putting real effort into improving the game was too much work?

This is WoN Reborn all over again. A few months of inactivity with lots of problems for the game during the time, and then we finally get an update from admins with an entirely new overhaul to the game. Except WoN Reborn was actually a good idea because of the replayability of the RPG format, the new story system which allowed for more regular character releases (or so the admins said, shame that didn't prove to be true), and the custom skins which honestly is the best feature the game has now.

All in all, this is a step in the absolutely worst direction. Abandoning the game in its current broken and desolate state for a new tablet friendly version is just another nail in the coffin for the game, and it's not too much longer until we just bury it and move on.

So this can remain undeleted (hopefully), I ask what many are asking. What does this mean for the web version of WoN, as well as Naruto and Soul-Arena? It sounds an awful lot like this will take all resources you guys have, which is just going to kill not only this site, but the other arena sites, which I feel is a massive oversight by the admins and something they didn't even think about, or worse didn't bother to consider.

And just like Josh said, I'll have this on a notepad document in case this gets deleted, and I'm not afraid to repost. My opinion shouldn't be quieted just because I'm not in awe of this amazing update.
  Posted on September 24, 2014 at 10:52 PM
Murasaki_Karasu, The Trueborn Savior of the Ancestors

Contribution: 499 (416 + 83)
The future sounds excellent, all good and well. However, what about the present? I'm certain the admins can sacrifice a week or so from this new mobile platform in order to fix the bugs of the web-based game. You know, the one all of their hardcore players are playing. They could even release Tenkei and a few items to keep the interest going. Otherwise, the game dies and when the mobile WoN comes out, nobody is really left to care. Focus on your current players a little.
  Posted on September 24, 2014 at 11:02 PM
Salsaman, The Ruthless General of the Military

Contribution: 162 (86 + 76)
This doesn't sound too encouraging or promising but if in the future it gets more players then I won't complain.
zacrathedemon5 wrote:

A few things need to be immediately addressed:

1. Will it be tablet-exclusive? Meaning, will the parts of the userbase who don't have a useable tablet (myself included) be exempt from playing the game? Is the WoN online which we know going to be abandoned?

2. Will anything that was discussed in the submitted document be addressed with this coming change? As it is now, the current WoN is still in need of basic repair (eliminating the lag, specifically).

Honestly, as it is now, this is soul-crushing news. With "there is no hard release date on this new version, and it will continue to require the administration’s full attention", meaning that for an indefinite amount of time the game we want to play will remain untouched, it really sounds like the final nail has been driven into War of Ninja's coffin.

It doesn't help that there was also no communication with the userbase about the possibility of this change beforehand. Then again, it's entirely possible they're just plain abandoning us in favor of the hope of an entirely new userbase with the jump to mobile.

I'll try hoping that something will magically change, that they'll decide to at least apply basic repair to the current game before continuing this endeavor. If not, it sounds like I need to prepare myself to bid WoN a reluctant, permanent farewell.

^This is seriously the most important thing to be considering now

Also would like to know as an active skin maker, who has invested lots of work into making skins, what will happen with those if this goes to tablet?
  Posted on September 24, 2014 at 11:49 PM
1 thumbs up
lucaslost, The Lost Wolf of the Winter

Contribution: 1,633 (1,374 + 259)
Don't mean to sound rude or anything but honestly I think you guys should double-check your priorities.

Sure, making the game able to be played in tablet is pretty sweet, but what's the point if the game is barely ever played?
I think you should either hire new people or divide your time better, because new content is always a must for any (successful) online game.

If we compare WoN to the latest game I've been playing (before you even go OMG THE GAMES ARE SO INCOPARABLE BCS OF PLAYSTYLE AND STUFF ,LUKE STFU, read the point I am trying to make), which is LoL (League of Legends), we can clearly see that the game has an active userbase that is huge (I think it's the greatest of all online games so maybe this wasn't the best example). Why? Well the main reasons are:

1- Advertising Honestly if you don't want your game to be played and advertised what's the point of making such game?

2- Championship/Rewards If you know what I'm talking about, LoL rewards professional players with large sums of money in exchange of them winning the biggest LoL tournament ever -worldwide. Obviously WoN cannot offer such thing, but having some prizes for huge tournaments (once this thing gets active), such as... umm... I don't know, some game content that people can't normally get by any means would be ideal. Also streams and commentaries, videos about the game, etc, all help to develop the game's community.

3- Updates Okay here's the main problem. LoL updates its site at least every 3 days with the skin sales thingy, plus once a week or so with new content. Updating the site, making balances for every-other update, honoring players every once in a while, giving previews for future content is something you guys SHOULD be implementing. People love sneak peaks.

If you look at LoL as of right now, their latest updates were all of these, which were ONE DAY AGO!! They include: balance, champion (character) updates, reborn, A PATCH RUNDOWN!, and a sneak of pay-able content (in this case, a long-awaited skin)
If you look at WoN though, the latest update was on July the ninth, which is more than 2 months ago, and even so, this was just a description/font update! The real update were the Item weeks, which had its latest activity on JUNE!!! JUNE, PEOPLE!!!
And it isn't even completed... so yeah... you get the point

Obviously I'm not saying you guys should get as active as LoL, but if your intention is to update into tablet technology, then you should not neglect the other content updates in this game. My suggestion, take it or leave it, is that you hire people capable of doing stuff for you and are willing to help. That's all.

Thanks for reading =)

X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X
R.I.P. Malena Chevy ~♥
  Posted on September 25, 2014 at 1:14 AM
6 thumbs up
Nori, Wolf of the Seishin

Contribution: 2,123 (1,747 + 376)
That moment when you hit backspace at the wrong time and delete your post v.v

Okay, I will give the abridged basics of reponses, and can go into whatever more detail I have as requested:

The Document: It's not dead, it was discussed, and it is still there for the admins. However, the changes to the game's engine (the removal of flash) mean certain elements may no longer be relevant to the game. So, the engine is being remade, then the document will be revisited (either of their own free will or when I make them) and we can see what comes of it then. As to if the stuff discussed will be applied now, I don't like the chances, but the admins may be convinced to do a stability update and then hand character creation over to the balance staff and let us run updates, I dunno.

Also, as to the point of the document, do remember that was all me, had nothing to do with the other admins. The goal was to get discussion rolling on updates, this is the information I got, along with a few other things that aren't really useful information here. But as said above, it's still a useful document that will be used, just not as I planned.

The Online Game: It's not being killed persay, because as some of you may remember I have mentioned a few times, the admins have been trying to kill flash for various reasons. While the non-flash version will be inherently aimed at the tablet, that doesn't mean it can't be re-applied to the game as-is. I don't know the specifics of how it all works, because not a coder, but the new engine should be better overall. However it is likely to significantly delay updates here.

New Coders?: This one comes up a lot, and was in the doc, but was one that wasn't heavily discussed. I think the admins are still intent on keeping their code to themselves, so it's a hard one to swing. Do we have good, reliable coders in the community/expanded community who would be willing to do the work? If we have the people, I'll go have the discussion, if not things get a little harder in this regard.

Tablet Exclusivity: I don't know, I think it depends on how the engine turns out. I don't think a phone version will be done off the bat, given how phone are generally too small to make playing the game viable, but that's not to say it couldn't be done, that's a decision the other admins will make when the time comes.

Post Deleting: Well I hope no one deletes anything here. You guys are making fair points, and I know you're frustrated, but you'd have gotten more so if we said nothing, and it's better to talk through what issues you have then to just ignore them and hope no one else notices. I'll not be deleting anything, if others do feel free to repost and let me know if you get warned for it, I'll do what I can to back you up. Just keep it reasonable, legitimate spam I'll kill, and if you're just going to say 'This is trash you guys suck' instead of asking actual questions and making legitimate comments, that will die.

That's about all I saw, as I said, if there's more post it here or PM me or whatever, and we'll talk it through. I know this isn't the news you were all looking for, but it was this or silence and I think we'd all rather get this out of the way than have the looming spectre of something hovering over us while we wait for the engine to be finished. If you've got specific things you want taken to the admins, PM them to me and I'll do what I can to get them addressed.

Big thanks to JoeTurtle for this one^^

Akatsuki is Recruiting! Post an app to be part of Akatsuki on WoN: Reborn today!

Not sure who Akatsuki is? Check out the Akatsuki Clan Topic!
  Posted on September 25, 2014 at 1:28 AM
6 thumbs up
Zadion, The Twisted Child of Death

Contribution: 1,077 (757 + 320)
I feel like we all should have learned by now that the admins have a specific model they strictly adhere to regarding updates.

Step 1: Release major update.
Step 2: Release small expansions to said update for a (very) short duration to keep initial players interested.
Step 3: Abandon small expansions to update.
Step 4: Ignore the game for a large duration (months ~ years) to work on another major update.
Step 5: Release the next major update.
Repeat

This is the model they've used for War of Ninja since the very inception of the game. There's always a huge delay between releases where WoN isn't updated for months and months on end, the game dies, a major update is released, the game thrives with life for a short time, then the game dies again because the admins dedicate too much time to major updates while forgetting to make consistent small ones.

The worst part? Every single major update that is done undoes very large amounts of the previous major update, thus rendering a considerable portion of their work wasted time. The RPG undid a large part of the previous game, and this tablet version will undo a huge part of the RPG.

At this point, I can only offer one piece of advice: do not, under any circumstances, abandon the PC version of the game. I understand the purpose of the market for tablets, but it is a limited market - as Sakon said, it would do much better for smartphones, where the market is much larger. If WoN is rendered unplayable on the PC after this tablet release, all hope for it is eliminated.

hello, it's me. i was wondering if after all these years you'd like to meet
  Posted on September 25, 2014 at 1:35 AM
1 thumbs up
NelielChan, The Thunderous Commander

Contribution: 95 (56 + 39)
This is good to hear for the most part Nori, a much bigger relief to see you tackle the concerns point by point like that. Additionally, I apologize for my slight hostility towards you when mentioning the document in my first post.

Regarding game updates for War of Ninja as is, such as balances and fixing the in game chat system and such, would this be possible for you to do Nori? I understand you don't have much of any knowledge of coding, but I've taken a few coding courses myself and the basics aren't too hard to pick up. Of course this might be much more complicated than I realize, but even so, you're an admin just as much as Yukigaaru and Yuudai, and since you're more active within the site than them, I think you might be a good canidate for being able to release some balances and technical fixes and stuff.

Just an idea that popped into my head that I was curious to see your input on and if it's at all possible.
  Posted on September 25, 2014 at 1:45 AM
4 thumbs up
Nori, Wolf of the Seishin

Contribution: 2,123 (1,747 + 376)
I can try have balance added to my acp. I'll talk about that tonight.

Big thanks to JoeTurtle for this one^^

Akatsuki is Recruiting! Post an app to be part of Akatsuki on WoN: Reborn today!

Not sure who Akatsuki is? Check out the Akatsuki Clan Topic!
  Posted on September 25, 2014 at 1:54 AM
Salsaman, The Ruthless General of the Military

Contribution: 162 (86 + 76)
Zadion wrote:

I feel like we all should have learned by now that the admins have a specific model they strictly adhere to regarding updates.

Step 1: Release major update.
Step 2: Release small expansions to said update for a (very) short duration to keep initial players interested.
Step 3: Abandon small expansions to update.
Step 4: Ignore the game for a large duration (months ~ years) to work on another major update.
Step 5: Release the next major update.
Repeat

This is the model they've used for War of Ninja since the very inception of the game. There's always a huge delay between releases where WoN isn't updated for months and months on end, the game dies, a major update is released, the game thrives with life for a short time, then the game dies again because the admins dedicate too much time to major updates while forgetting to make consistent small ones.

The worst part? Every single major update that is done undoes very large amounts of the previous major update, thus rendering a considerable portion of their work wasted time. The RPG undid a large part of the previous game, and this tablet version will undo a huge part of the RPG.

At this point, I can only offer one piece of advice: do not, under any circumstances, abandon the PC version of the game. I understand the purpose of the market for tablets, but it is a limited market - as Sakon said, it would do much better for smartphones, where the market is much larger. If WoN is rendered unplayable on the PC after this tablet release, all hope for it is eliminated.

This is the most logical thing I've read on this posting...
I could not have worded it any better
  Posted on September 25, 2014 at 2:21 AM
1 thumbs up
Trucy, The Golden Child

Contribution: 118 (53 + 65)
Nori wrote:

I can try have balance added to my acp. I'll talk about that tonight.

Hopefully this works out because we really need someone as active as you to handle them..
  Posted on September 25, 2014 at 3:25 AM
Ghostmyth, The Innocent Fugitive

Contribution: 98 (82 + 16)
I think if a phone app is to work, you'd have to change the layout. If the web masters would like, I could make a few mock images for what a layout could be. My idea, roughly, would be that you would hold it horizontally and see your three characters top left, their three characters top right. Click a character to see skills at the bottom. Click a skill, then click who you want to use it on at the right of the screen. Energy could be displayed between the character portraits.
Spoiler

I'll throw a barrel at a monkey if it gets the admin panel at Naruto-Arena fixed any faster

Posted on September 25, 2014 at 3:27 AM
1 thumbs up
zacrathedemon5, The Manipulative Defender of Santi

Contribution: 225 (171 + 54)
I just want to add: whatever things get reworked, the custom skins must remain. They are a fantastic addition to the game and add an extra layer of fun to it.

Sig made by InsanityisArt (Soul Arena member)