Topic: War of Ninja-Something Something-By Nori

There are no members reading this topic.

Posted on February 14, 2017 at 5:27 PM
1 thumbs up
Low, The Manipulative Elite

Contribution: 3,950 (3,650 + 300)
Nori wrote:

Yuki is the only one of the two we've any hope of reaching. I'm very close to calling his parents and tracking him down

lol

Give me the number and I'll call. Assume its cheaper to call fro, here than Australia. lol And besides, I call Europe once a couple months or more..
  Posted on February 17, 2017 at 9:08 PM
1 thumbs up
Zadion, The Twisted Child of Death

Contribution: 1,077 (757 + 320)
I definitely feel starting a physical card game would just be jumping on the same ship WoN jumped on back when it was first started and what ultimately led to its death. Tons of resources would be invested into a platform that is a niche market and has little hope of ever taking off. As someone who has been a TCG player periodically since childhood, I've seen countless card games pop up and die off. If they still exist, it's only amongst die-hard elites who latched onto the game early and won't let go. (What's the latest one... Force of Will? It seems to have gained a bit of popularity, but even that I feel is mostly due to its waifu content.) Aside from the "big three" of card games (Magic, YGO, and Pokemon), this is essentially the destiny any rising card game will face.

This is not a good path for WoN because its the same exact situation it's already in. With that being said, I'd love a complete collection of WoN trading cards.

IMO, thanks to our confangled millennial generation, the only way a game like WoN has a chance at real success is through the mobile game market -- i.e. as a smartphone app. Kids these days and their penchant for mindless, carry-on pseudo-games has radically reshaped the nature of "casual gaming" and it makes it the perfect platform for WoN. Short games meant to fill gaps in time while hanging out or away from home. Games primarily meant to keep you occupied for 10-15 minute bursts yet can easily stretch on for hours. And for whatever reason, our generation, even if sitting at home doing nothing, would rather search for and play these sorts of things on their phones than their PCs.

Consider games like Shadowverse which obtained a significant following because of starting as a mobile game.

The admins' plans to turn WoN into a tablet game way back when was the right direction; it just needed to be directed to its logical conclusion.

hello, it's me. i was wondering if after all these years you'd like to meet
  Posted on February 18, 2017 at 3:45 PM
Falia, Prisoner

Contribution: 1 (1 + 0)
I agree you should make WON app for mobiles and tablets if you want to revive it ;)
  Posted on March 27, 2017 at 2:22 AM
Nori, Wolf of the Seishin

Contribution: 2,123 (1,747 + 376)
I wish I could make it on tablets, but that's so far out of my skill set. I'm kinda working on learning how to code for tablets when I'm not working or studying, but that's a long road I'm walking very slowly.

Big thanks to JoeTurtle for this one^^

Akatsuki is Recruiting! Post an app to be part of Akatsuki on WoN: Reborn today!

Not sure who Akatsuki is? Check out the Akatsuki Clan Topic!
  Posted on April 25, 2017 at 10:00 AM
Shinjusuke, Swordsman of the Kage

Contribution: 24 (22 + 2)
I checked back in with this game to see what progress had been made, as I haven't played it in something like 2-3 years.

Sadly, it seems fairly dead, which was my fear for where it was headed when I left all that time ago.

That said, I personally believe that it has a solid concept and was enjoyable when I was playing it.

While I'm not particularly a fan of a move from the browser format (as, like many others have stated, I do not have a tablet), I strongly feel that if the web client version has been all but abandoned by those with the experience to code it, moving to an app format is the strongest direction to head in.

TCGs, as some have already pointed out, are incredibly prone to failure. The big 3 are the only truly successful physical TCGs on the market, as the shift from physical TCGs to digital ones (like Hearthstone, Shadowverse, etc) has shown far more success due to it's ease of use.

Starting a "new" TCG is damn near impossible, even WITH a ton of backing (the Naruto TCG was actually fairly decent and even it crashed and burned despite the massive success of Naruto as a series).

Nori, if you lack the experience or ability to code yourself, but retain your passion for the game, I think the optimal route is to contract out work from coders that exist within the community and attempt to bring them on.

Of course, the other original creators would have to be a part of this arrangement and compensated accordingly, but if your description of coding progress is "kinda learning very slowly when not working or studying" and you're the only drive left amongst those with power, WoN is probably just going to be dead unless you get outside help.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents as an oldschool arena/WoN player checking in after a few years, do with it what you will. I sincerely think bringing on outside help on a contractual basis to transition the game to an app format for smartphones and/or tablets is the way to go, and *hopefully* reviving the browser-based format one day.

In any case, as much as you seem to enjoy story and lore, I would caution a few things as someone working within the game industry:
- Be careful to watch your ego, especially if you bring on help. The "Kojima mentality" never helps any developer.
- Keep in mind that a game's story exists to enhance the gameplay experience. ***Very*** rarely does that relationship work the other way around, and usually attempts to that end result in bad games.
- Don't give up hope. From personal experience, if you're actually passionate about making a game, learn what you need to, ask for help when you need it, and be willing to compromise with those who can assist you. You'll get the game done.